Solaris 10 install

Discussion in 'Linux' started by HeidiMom, Apr 21, 2009.

1. HeidiMom

HeidiMom

Hi!

I am waiting for my AA1 to come and I have been reading this forum from stem to stern.With all the flavors of Linux discussed, I am not seeing anything about installing Solaris 10. I want to make my baby dual boot Solaris 10. Has anybody tried installing it yet? Were there any issues with it if you have??

Thanks in advance!
    Heidi

HeidiMom, Apr 21, 2009
  2. HeidiMom

itres

itres, Apr 21, 2009
  3. HeidiMom

HeidiMom

Hi!

I thought I would let you all know that I am now dual booting Solaris 10 and it is running great so far. I haven't finished configuring the wireless yet, and I am sure that there are more parts and pieces I will enable and disable in the near future. When I get that far, I will be sure to post any commands that with setup.

Grub did all the work for me setting up the dual boot. I started with Windows on my Aspire One.

That is my update.

Heidi

HeidiMom, Apr 30, 2009
  4. HeidiMom

SnorreSelmer

OpenSolaris != Solaris...

Btw, I'm interested in a good how-to on installing Solaris in general, as I|d like to run it on one of my servers. ZFS rules!

SnorreSelmer, Apr 30, 2009
  5. HeidiMom

itres

itres, May 10, 2009
  6. HeidiMom

ronime

I installed OpenSolaris 2008.11 on an A150 yesterday. Dual boot with XP Home. It was a partial success.

Boots OK and launches the Gnome desktop, but I can't get it to display 1024x600 (stuck with 800x600). Also power consumption is huge and shutdown is flaky.

I will try the OpenSolaris 2009.06 build from genunix instead and see how that goes. I also have a Solaris 10 5/09 DVD to try.

ronime, May 18, 2009
  7. HeidiMom

itres

OpenSolaris b111a works really good (http://genunix.org/).
    But you can try with this xorg.conf http://blogs.sun.com/oslab/resource/xorg.conf.

Grtz,

itres, May 18, 2009
  8. HeidiMom

ronime

Thanks for this. That xorg.conf looks much more sane than my current config.
    I suspect that my i915 and agp??? packages are not installed properly either.
    I will give this another go.

ronime, May 18, 2009
  9. HeidiMom

pling

The bad news is that even if you do get Solaris to work, someone else will still have out weirded you - look for the post on Beos on an Acer!

pling, May 18, 2009
  10. HeidiMom

itres

I agree when I saw that thread I was also very doubtful about this (see my first post).
    But if you want to play with what solaris offers (zfs, zones, ...) why not?

BeOS goes indeed far in terms of what you could run on a netbook.

Grtz

itres, May 18, 2009
  11. HeidiMom

ronime

I installed B111a last night. All went OK and a modified xorg.conf was not needed for a 1024x600 display.

Wireless connectivity was erratic until I used the wired ethernet interface. Automatic network management seems to have sorted itself out now.

Startup and shutdown take longer than I would like, but at least it shuts down cleanly.

The SD card slots did not work. I removed the SUNWsdcard driver package and the left hand SD card slot started working (WTF?). Then I rebooted and none of them work now. I attempted to reinstall the SD card driver package but there was some kind of error when connecting to the update repository.

Issues still to be resolved (any further help/advice much appreciated!):
    • SD card readers not working (left and right)[/*:m:kjp093hj]
    • Sleep and/or hibernate not available[/*:m:kjp093hj]
    • Power consumption is huge (not much more than 90 mins on a 3-cell battery)[/*:m:kjp093hj]

ronime, May 20, 2009
  12. HeidiMom

itres

itres, May 20, 2009
  13. HeidiMom

ronime

Thanks again.

My daughter is studying Spanish at High School, she might be able to help me but I doubt that they have covered advanced Geek-Speak en espanol in her lessons.

The drm and power.conf patches look useful. Will give these a try tonight.

ronime, May 20, 2009
  14. HeidiMom

shobon

Can someone explain to me why OpenSolaris 2008.11 is almost 700mb and the beta is only ~160mb?

shobon, May 27, 2009
  15. HeidiMom

itres

I don't have the 2009.06 image here but I am quite sure it was more than 160mb.

Grtz

itres, May 27, 2009
  16. HeidiMom

ronime

The 2009.06 ISO that I downloaded via genunix.org is 678MB.

Code:
    /home/data/Disk Images/Solaris $ du -sh *
    640M    osol-0811-global.iso
    688M    osol-0811.iso
    678M    osol-0906-111a-x86.iso
    813M    osol-0906-111a-x86.usb
    2.2G    sol-10-u7-ga-x86-dvd.iso

ronime, May 27, 2009
  17. HeidiMom

shobon

Downloaded the wrong thing, my bad :oops:

shobon, May 28, 2009
  18. HeidiMom

STKD

That would be me. Apparently I win the current "strangest thing run on an Aspire One" contest - now where's my trophy and vast quantities of cash reward? ;) (Random note but you can also run Windows 1.0 from a bootable floppy - and if you convert that bootable floppy into a bootable ISO and use a U3 USB drive to boot *that*, it boots in under a second...)

There wasn't much *real* value to running BeOS unless for some reason you really wanted to use Abiword while playing Doom and Rise of the Triad... sadly the ethernet (note to self: try with BONE sometime) and audio don't work along with the obvious things like webcam, mic etc. It looked very nice and was very fast but was more of a technical curio in the end.

(If anyone really feels like trying it, the basic process is to install it on an actual PC - tricky in itself these days - then clone the partition *without* the MBR or boot menu and restore it onto a partition on the Aspire One. The trick is to create a BeFS format partiton *then* restore the cloned image onto it. You then get yourself a good old bootable floppy and use that to pick it up.)

STKD, May 28, 2009
Ask a Question