Solderless internal usb - possible?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by simbeb, Apr 6, 2010.

1. simbeb

simbeb

(First off: the idea is to NOT have a bluetooth dongle sticking out the side of the AA1)

I use both wifi and bluetooth quite intensively. So I decided to buy the 3DSP wifi/bluetooth pcie card. Problem is; it does not install properly under Ubuntu unless one's a Linux geek who knows how to get round the problem. For that reason I haven't been using Linux for months.
    So Ideally, I would use the original wifi pcie card with a bluetooth dongle inside the case. However, I don't do soldering. So what i'd like to find out is whether there is a way of

-splitting the input of one the usb cables feeding the internal devices and plugging it to a cable that has a standard usb connection on to which I would connect a bluetooth dongle? If it is possible, where can I find such cable?
    (I am aware that one solution would be to install a solderless touch screen and use a spare port but I have had 3 consecutive failures in making those work, don't want to try again!)

-or can I remove the 3G pcie card and replace it with a bluetooth only card (if it exist)?

Cheers for thinking about it! ;)

simbeb, Apr 6, 2010
  2. simbeb

hartleyshc

You can't just split the usb cable and use both. Unless you found a very small usb hub and added that, and then fed the line back to the webcam/mic. Just use some small 18-22g wire.
    Heres what you need to do:
    http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/ ... bluetooth/
    If you click on the picture in the post it will take you to tnkgrl's flickr page with plenty of high res photos.

Instead of using the webcam/mic wires, you use the un-used usb pins on the pci-e port. (unused unless you replace it with a 3g or TV tuner card.) Any other usb source you tap into will either need a toggle switch on the power (ground(-)), or add a micro usb hub. Or just sacrifice the entire usb port, and just put one of those no-dust usb port plugs on the outside.

hartleyshc, Apr 9, 2010
  3. simbeb

simbeb

Thank you. All of your solutions involve soldering, don't they?

simbeb, Apr 9, 2010
  4. simbeb

hartleyshc

yep. you can try to find a usb hub thats used in the touch screens, but you would still need to solder the wires onto the bluetooth usb device, or a female connector to plug the device into.

if you can't solder at all, then your only choice is to get one of those micro usb bluetooth dongles and just leave it in the most unused usb port.

hartleyshc, Apr 10, 2010
  5. simbeb

bigdoe1014

Does anyone know where to buy the usb adapter for the hub or does anyone know the part number? I've looking trying to find the part name and it looks like something that is speclized. I look to take apart a flash drive and attach it to the usb hub, but I don't want to so any soldering. Help anyone?

bigdoe1014, May 27, 2010
Ask a Question