Solderless Touchscreen.....again!!!

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by neal22, Apr 28, 2009.

1. neal22

neal22

Hi everyone, this is officially my first ever post. To get down to business, i'd like to know everyone's views on the FRAGILITY of the solderless touch screens. I have read a lot about screens cracking and the like. Your views? Worth it? Not Worth it? Too fragile?

Oh and i just received my blue aspire one A150 with 512Mb RAM and 160G HDD yesterday. I think linux lasted about five minutes before i stripped it off and replaced it with my friend XP (nlited of course). And tonight i get to come home to a beautiful 1G stick of ram ready to install... :D

neal22, Apr 28, 2009
  2. neal22

neal22

sorry, didn't mean to brag. But hey, wouldn't you???? :mrgreen:

neal22, Apr 28, 2009
  3. neal22

jerryt

The TS are very very fragile while installing, but once installed they are pretty protected by the bezel.

It is a great upgrade, but it bites badly when it does crack. I know because I just cracked one doing additional antenna mod.

jerryt, Apr 28, 2009
  4. neal22

neal22

ouch....sorry to hear that!!
    i'm glad that the bezel protects it ok....but what about all that wiring near/under/around the hinges?
    How long will those cables last with constant opening and closing of the lid? Possibilities of them moving and getting pinched?
    gritting my teeth here because i just wanna get this DONE now, but at the same time worried about these issues....

oh and thanks for quick reply !!!! :)

neal22, Apr 28, 2009
  5. neal22

jerryt

The wires form a "Z" in the hinge area. All the LCD, Mic, and WebCam wires are on the left and two WiFi cable on the right side hinge. They should last the life of a netbook and if routed in the "Z" shape will not get pinched.

jerryt, Apr 28, 2009
  6. neal22

neal22

aaah this makes my decision so much easier to make....i think i'll go for it...
    by the way, how long have you had your touch screen (until it cracked), and is it the solderless one?

thanks

neal22, Apr 28, 2009
  7. neal22

jerryt

4 months, solder type from Fidohub, but I am replacing with one from toptouchscreen.

jerryt, Apr 28, 2009
  8. neal22

neal22

thanks a lot man..... :)

neal22, Apr 29, 2009
  9. neal22

dubwagen

Hi guys, I'm new here. Getting my AOA in a few days.

why are you replacing the soldered touchscreen with the solderless one? I'm planning to do this mod too and would rather pay less and do some soldering.

dubwagen, May 14, 2009
  10. neal22

jerryt

Fido solder touchscreen kit did not have a usb hub, just the controller. The latest solderless kits have a small touchscreen controller with a usb hub on the same circuit board, so I am changing to get the usb hub in the same amount of space as my old Fido controller.

jerryt, May 14, 2009
Ask a Question