Solution!!! AA1 Atheros Card works now!!!

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by jsn1aa1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jsn1aa1

anvil

um, yea, this didn't work for me... I am on a new install of 4i with 10.5.5 update (9.2 speedstep kernel) and all other apple updates and patches installed. Anyone else have any success? PM me if you need the file

anvil, Dec 5, 2008
  2. jsn1aa1

anvil

anvil, Dec 5, 2008
  3. jsn1aa1

nocturne1

The rapidshare link's dead..... :(

nocturne1, Dec 5, 2008
  4. jsn1aa1

Vicos

unsuccessfull to me... no wifi signal is detected :(

Vicos, Dec 5, 2008
  5. jsn1aa1

Daball

You'll need:

- File from step 1.
    - Kismac Trunk r139
    - KextHelper

Did you not mean Kismac Trunk r319 ?

That was the version used in the original post at Insanely Mac

Just wondering

Daball, Dec 5, 2008
  6. jsn1aa1

bm2

As noted by anvil, here is the real tutorial, which jsn1aa1 was following.

Last weekend, I successfully tested it on an AAO running 10.5.5 vanilla+/Extra/Extensions.

I didn't leave it installed, though, as there were several significant caveats. In summary, it creates system instability (kernel panics on startup) and only worked reliably one time -- immediately after installation of the modified airport kext, and Kismac's initial modifications. On subsequent restarts, Kismac would stutter, and the Airport menu-extra would intermittently freeze/unfreeze, when accessed. I was pressed for time, and couldn't get Kismac to locate the network again. After experiencing a kernel panic (predicted by the tutorial) I removed Kismac and the modified airport kext, returning the machine to its owner.

I see that oldmaclover has some further discussion of the stutter/freeze/lockup issue, and it may be resolved shortly.

This is definitely an excellent start, though. The original poster should re-title the thread.

bm2, Dec 5, 2008
  7. jsn1aa1

anvil

anvil, Dec 5, 2008
  8. jsn1aa1

vikozurita

Hello, I just registered to tell you, this works.

Butr, it didn't the first time, i got the gray airport icon with no bars, had to repair permissions (like every other kext on these guides and the Insanely forum), rebooted, then "activate airport" on preferences panel, rebooted again, and gray bars appeared, then launched kismac, scan for networks, and when it did find the near networks, quited Kismac and clicked on airport icon, searched for networks and selected the only open one, writing from there. My own WEP 128bit network did not asigned correctly an IP, don't kwnow what it is. Also, it disconnects time to time and from what I've read, I'm gonne have to reinstall the kext, then repair permissions, rebootn, do the kismac and the connect via airport icon, if I shutdown and want wireless working again.

Don't know if BIOS update (from 3305 to 3308) would change anything.

Acer Aspire One with a 30 GB ZIF HDD from dead zune, 1 GB Ram, dual booting XP and OSX 10.5.5 (vanilla kernel) from the guide with Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5.

Thank you all for the guides and instructions, if I get everything working normal at least, I will get rid of XP, had to sell mi iMac G5 and Mini G4 for economical reasons and had to stay with the AAO, wich is all i wanted since an iBook G3.

By the way, I can not mirror displays, hungs the system, only extended desktop and don't know if clamshell mode works. The JMicron driver for SD cards didn't let me boot the system with the card inserted.

Greetings from Puebla, Mexico.

vikozurita, Dec 5, 2008
  9. jsn1aa1

vikozurita

Hello again, I rebboted, didn't need to reinstall kext, just fire up first Kismac to scan for networks, and connected to one, the WEP thing got resolved by asking again for the password and it did asign a valid IP, stable connection, and I think it is safe to assume this works, you just have to get it working the 1st time.

Hope this helps a little.

vikozurita, Dec 5, 2008
  10. jsn1aa1

Vicos

Still not working, it don't detect my wep connexion :(

Vicos, Dec 5, 2008
  11. jsn1aa1

stonerolling

I couldn't make it work for my AAO A150 - Dual Boot Windows XP and Leopard from iatkos v4i updated to 10.5.5 with ToH 9.2.0 Kernel Hypertheading enabled Quartz GL Graphics via OSx86 Tools.
    After that I get very offen Kernel Panics on start up and on shut down.
    After the deletion of the new Kexts and Kismac I get only Kernel Panics on shut down.
    What should I do????
    Do you think that I need to apply the vanilla kernel?
    How can I do that?

stonerolling, Dec 5, 2008
  12. jsn1aa1

stonerolling

I moved to Voodoo kernel but still no luck.......

stonerolling, Dec 7, 2008
  13. jsn1aa1

anvil

spend the $10 and order a dell dw 1390... It just works. When I was testing this hack it worked 1 out of 5 times. Forget about it if your WIFI is non-broadcasting.

The process to install a 1390 is very simple and quick.

If you want to wait, Atheros has open sourced http://www.atheros.com/news/linux.html all their drivers, so we may see some native OSX support coming. Personally for me a netbook without the "net" is just a paperweight. ;)

anvil, Dec 7, 2008
  14. jsn1aa1

nocturne1

I second that suggestion. I messed around with it a bit, but I figured having something that would work 100% of the time without any odd steps was worth it. Opening the case and replacing the card was easier than I thought (although some patience and care are needed), and it's really a cheap item to buy.

nocturne1, Dec 8, 2008
  15. jsn1aa1

Lexcorp

I'm so lucky. I have another notebook, a COMPAQ 3217. This NB have a Dell 1390 wireless card and interchange the cards betwen de AA1 and the COMPAQ, and... Voilá, WIFI problem solved. This is the solution that i find, because i can't solve the problem with this post.

Lexcorp, Dec 8, 2008
  16. jsn1aa1

RGGG

I got it to work, but only briefly, before it panicked.

My setup was iAtkos v5i running vanilla kernal (see rory's thread on installing) It's a AAO 150 stock 120gb/1gb ram. After the install it would panic on boot up. Reinstalled leopard and didnt bother with it.

Am now using a netgear wg111v2 usb adapter, 10 bucks, works well!

Ryan

RGGG, Dec 8, 2008
  17. jsn1aa1

Vicos

Finally i managed to make it work :)
    i'm so happy now i have a fully funcional acer apple :lol:

I just re-install my Leopard and fix all permissions and i managed to get it done :)
    Thank you for the topic

Vicos, Dec 8, 2008
  18. jsn1aa1

stratz9799

I have also has success with wireless, I install iAtkos v5i using Diablonet's guide and kexts.

I then updated to bios 3308.

Then I installed the airport update, io80211 and kismac following the instructions in this thread.

I kept getting kernel panics, so I ran 'update -v' at the bootloader prompt, then '-v' (don't know if this does anything, I'm a linux/xp user for the most part) and it successfully booted.

The airport icon and gray bars were present, I ran kismet, added the extreme passive driver, and successfully scanned networks, then joined my own wireless lan, which is using a wpa tkip passkey.

I'll play around a bit and see what the stability is like, speed is comparable to xp.

Thanks again!

stratz9799, Dec 9, 2008
  19. jsn1aa1

h0dges

How do I remove IO80211Family.kext ?

h0dges, Dec 9, 2008
  20. jsn1aa1

publicity

Hello stratz,

Could you point me to the link of "Diablonet's guide and kexts." I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

publicity, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question