Solution!!! AA1 Atheros Card works now!!!

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by jsn1aa1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jsn1aa1

Famous

Famous, Dec 9, 2008
  2. jsn1aa1

mrplant

Hi Famous..

So am I right in assuming, when you boot into OS X, you never get any more kernel panics and the wireless interface just works without you having to do anything??

I was thinking before reading your post, that even if you did get it to work, it might stop working next reboot and even if/if not - there was always a 40% chance of a kernel panic at boot?

Can you clarify for me if its now 100% stable for you?

Maybe I misunderstood above posts.. Would be good to hear from you on this.

cheers

steve

mrplant, Dec 10, 2008
  3. jsn1aa1

mar.ste

Maybe this one? viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7802

mar.ste, Dec 10, 2008
  4. jsn1aa1

Famous

Hi steve,

sorry, its not very stable, it seemed to work stable, but one time it works, sometimes not. If it is connected, it works very well.

Today, i tested my USB Wlan Stick and it works very well, its a Netgear WG111 (v2), Chipset Realtek RTL8187L. You can get drivers for MacOS (Intel) at the Realtek website. You can buy this stick at ebay very cheap. (Sorry for my poor english, i´m from germany).

cheers

matthias

Famous, Dec 10, 2008
  5. jsn1aa1

mrplant

Thanks Mathias - great info there!

Your English is fine by the way - no problems there!!

I have my 1390 on its way.. ;-)

mrplant, Dec 10, 2008
  6. jsn1aa1

nunomeneses

Well i tryed several times this and with bios 3308 but no luck. Sometimes the card is recognized at boot and shows the grey bars but never saw any wireless network... and the system became unstable, crashes...

I decided to buy a wireless card and wait...

nunomeneses, Dec 11, 2008
  7. jsn1aa1

nunomeneses

Ok! I got it to work at leat one time (this one) i'm going to make the mac 10.5.6 update and then i'll see what happen's.

I can say that i had to do somethings that aren't posted here so at the end if all works ok for me i will post the steps here! :D

EDIT: My second boot and second wireless connection! This is looking good i think. Now i'm going to make the 10.5.6 update by following Diablo's guide.

EDIT2: So.... i can't do the update. Why? because i don´t have disk space left to do it ahahahahah! My little 8Gb SSD have onlye 1.4Gb left so i can't do the update that needs 2.3gb i guess. So i will stay how i am for now! And i'm glad :D.

nunomeneses, Dec 16, 2008
  8. jsn1aa1

RGGG

what did you do differently?

Ryan

RGGG, Dec 17, 2008
  9. jsn1aa1

nunomeneses

By parts: Aspire one A110:

I have installed:

- Bios 3308
    - Voodoo Kernel latest version
    - iAtkos 5i
    - Airport Update 2008-004
    - Kismac trunk r319

What i did:

Delete all the mkext files --> i just find the Extensions.mkext in the Library-folder;

Use kext helper to install io80211family.kext;

Open terminal and f flag on kernel flags like this:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist
    <key> Kernel </ key>
    <string> mach_kernel </ string>
    <key> Kernel Flags </ key>
    <string>-f </ string>

Then CTRL+X Y ENTER

Fix DSDT with fassl guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

Repair Permissions by opening terminal and write: "diskutil repairPermissions /"

When it's done reboot;

Run Kismac and go to prefererences and find the tab for drivers. Add the Airport Extreme Passive mode one.

Search button and see if any network appears if yes end kismac and go to airport icon and see if there's networks.

If kismac doesn't show any network and you made all the steps just reboot, for me it was the 3rd reboot that made this all work. Believe, it worked like a charm to me since it has been working for me every time i turn aspire one on! Just run kismac search the networks, close it, go to airport and baammm it is working! :) Don't know if it's general... just try!

Thanks to jinnggoff since it his method, oldmaclover and fassl for the guides i just followed the guides once i saw jinnggoff method.

nunomeneses, Dec 17, 2008
  10. jsn1aa1

chuckcalo

Ok I got mine to work:

- Updated to 3309 bios.
    - Installed Airport 2008-004.dmg, IO80211Family.kext and KisMAC trunk 319.
    - Turned Airport off, reboot.
    - Turned Airport ON.
    - Opened KisMAC trunk 319, went to Preferences and added Airport Extreme Passive Mode.
    - Scanned for networks, once found I closed KisMAC.
    - Clicked on Airport icon > Join Other Networks > Show Networks.
    - Walla!

chuckcalo, Dec 19, 2008
  11. jsn1aa1

mercado79

I did a Google search for "reinstall io80211family". Found this:

To remove the stock IO80211Family.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, from Terminal type:

~sudo -s
    ~ rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

mercado79, Dec 19, 2008
  12. jsn1aa1

mercado79

I haven't been able to get this to work. I followed the instructions to a "T". I even got Windows loaded onto another partition in order to try turning it on and off from there and rebooting into OS X. Still no luck.

I installed iAtkos 5i, updated to 3308 bios, and then Installed Airport 2008-004.dmg, IO80211Family.kext and KisMAC trunk 319. I'm not sure how you turned off Airport at that point. When OS X boots, I see the grey bars in the Airport icon, but only for a split second. After that, it just says "No Airport Card Installed". From the system preferences network menu, I don't have the option to turn on or off the card. It's there, but greyed out and clicking on it does nothing. Kismac appears to be working fine and loading the passive Airport drivers.

I also tried installing the rest of the drivers using the Diablonet package. Still nothing.

Ideas?

mercado79, Dec 20, 2008
  13. jsn1aa1

mercado79

Success! (sort of)

I removed the IO80211Family.kext and deleted the Extensions.mkext. Did a permissions repair. While it was doing the repair, the Airport icon went from being empty to having the grey lines in it. I shutdown and it froze. I held in the power button and restarted the machine. During boot, OS X locked up (kernel panic). I restarted again, but this time went into Windows. Wireless worked fine there so I restarted again. Instead of using the regular default boot, I manually typed "-f cpus=1". I already have this in my apple boot file, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. OS X started up. Airport icon was still there. I started up the KisMac app and did a scan. Found my wireless network. Connected to is using the Airport applet. Though it appeared to connect, the internet didn't work until after I closed KisMAC.

The only thing I could think of was that maybe I used a different version of the IO80211Family files. The ones I used this time were found here:
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... t&id=37891

UPDATE:
    OS X won't boot up anymore. It just keeps locking up during boot. I get the message that says to hold the power button. I've tried rebooting at least 6 times. I also boot from the installation DVD and did a repair on the partition using the disk utility. Still nothing. Help... please!

UPDATE 2:
    Well, the very next time I tried booting, it came up without any errors. Odd. I guess I'll try the "-v" suggestion from a few posts back. Either way, I've been impressed with OS X on this machine. Only been using it for about a day, but... looks promising. Maybe I'll treat myself to a compatible card off eBay afterall.

mercado79, Dec 20, 2008
  14. jsn1aa1

mercado79

first of all, don't think the -v update did anything. rebooting is totally hit or miss. i've gotten into the habbit of sometimes using the -v flag and sometimes not. the last two times, i did -v, it froze...and then i rebooted with the default boot options and it worked. maybe a fluke.

i've been reading the original thread (still going through it). i think i found out the reason that it didn't work for me originally. apparently you have to make sure that your network devices are set up as follows:

from within the network config file, /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, the wifi card has to be set up as en1. on my clean install of os x, it must have shown up as en0. after i installed the diablonet kext packages, i'm guessing that the ethernet card was detected properly. then when i uninstalled and reinstalled the IO80211Family kexts, wifi was set up as en1. again...just guesses.

next up, i'm hoping to do some more research on deleting extensions.mkext on each shutdown/reboot. people in the original thread think that might help the kernel panic issues at boot. i'll report back what i find.

mercado79, Dec 21, 2008
  15. jsn1aa1

derekboy

will this work if youve already been updated to 10.5.6 i tried installing airport update 2008 004 but it will not let me

derekboy, Dec 22, 2008
  16. jsn1aa1

dismal

Well I got my stock AA1 atheros card working...I had to do a fresh iatkos 5 install, updated to 10.5.6 immediately, when you update to 10.5.6 you do not need to install the airport update, installed the kexts from rory's tut, installed the newest version of the modified io80211family.kext from insanelymac (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... t&id=40807) deleted the mkext and ran chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext then chown -R root:wheel /system/extensions/io80211family.kext. rebooted installed kismac and loaded passive driver, scanned and got my networks, only had 2 kernel panics at first So I added the -f flag in the com.apple.boot.plist now if I turn off the airport card before I shutdown osx and then when I restart I turn it back on then scan with kismac everything works great. I put kismac in the dock and had it run at startup so really it only takes me a few seconds to get online after I boot up. I am running the newest 3309 bios, iatkos with voodoo kernel (when I select voodoo from the install dvd it doesn't install it so I installed it manually by downloading it and running the installer. I tried before on my iatkos 10.5.5 and I followed the steps to a t and couldn't get nothing but after a fresh install and immediate updates it worked first time out of the gate.
    Hopefully developers can work off this and get a proper airport driver for our aa1 cards.
    Good Luck guys.

dismal, Dec 28, 2008
  17. jsn1aa1

stretchp

did same as above, works.

have to run kismac each time then join airport after you find the networks in kismac and shut the app down....found it to just be a pain. Dell 1390's are under 15 bucks on ebay....bought one and it worked out of the box so to say....no drivers needed....nothing....first boot with the new dell card and airport works perfect.

So.....this method works, but a bit of a pain. I was also getting random kernel panics 1 of 5 boots when i ran kismac.

get a dell 1390 and put it in. takes 15mins, about as much time as youll spend setting up this pseudo fix

stretchp, Jan 11, 2009
  18. jsn1aa1

webalejo

could some one upload the IO80211Family.kext.zip plz i dont have an insanely mac account and for some reason i wont let me create one, the rapidshare link is death

webalejo, Mar 5, 2009
  19. jsn1aa1

tuzo

hi!!

I finally make the card work, but in 10.5.5

can I update ti 10.5.6 without loosing the config ???

or I will have to do all the steps again

thanks !!

tuzo, Apr 1, 2009
  20. jsn1aa1

kdc

i dont think it will work with 5.6.. to be honest theres no real need to update..

kdc, Apr 1, 2009
Ask a Question