Solution!!! AA1 Atheros Card works now!!!

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by jsn1aa1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jsn1aa1

tuzo

Thanks for reply !!

yeah, I´ve been thinking that and you´re right , there is no need to update..

thanks!!

tuzo, Apr 2, 2009
  2. jsn1aa1

aten

great , its working
    my aspire one
    160GB 1G memory bios: 3308
    idenb 1.4 choos aspire one normal

osx 10.5.6 dirctally install IO80211Family.kext

reboot
    use kismac r319 scan my home network
    ok

aten, Apr 3, 2009
  3. jsn1aa1

mene

Hello all,
    I'm rather new to the Acer One, but I am really impressed with it.
    I played around with a hackintosh about 3 years ago using 10.4 on my HP NX5000. I had a fair bit of success, but eventually gave up with it. Now I am back doing the same to my Acer One AOA150.

I managed to get the wireless working a few weeks back, but it didn't last after a reboot.
    After many rebuilds and different kexts, I finally got it to work again.
    This time, I upgraded the firmware to 3309,(was 3301)
    I install IAtkos 10.5.5 and then install the 10.5.6 upgrade.
    IO80211Family.kext was then loaded using kexthelper as described by Dismal a few posts back.
    I rebooted it, (without a kernel panic) and loaded Kismac.
    My wireless network was found, closed Kismac and I then logged onto it with the airport utility.
    This went fine including the WPA authentication.
    I rebooted it, and Kismac no longer finds it again. I've tried clearing the extension cache, and even reloaded the kext, but still no avail.
    I've included some screen shots from when it did work, these still look the same may I add.
    Has anyone any hints how to rectify this fault?
    I've just about had enough of it, and I'm almost ready to "borrow" a airport card from an Imac at work.
    I'd rather not if I had too though, as everything else is almost working out of the box on the Acer One.

Cheers,

Jamie

mene, Apr 5, 2009
  4. jsn1aa1

cybershrike

Does anyone know if this works for the AR5006EG card as well?

cybershrike, Apr 6, 2009
  5. jsn1aa1

mene

From what I have read every where else, yes the AR5005, AR5006 and AR5008 all run fine, it's just the AR5007 that is a bit touchy.
    I gave up, and "borrowed" a Broadcomm Airport card from and IMac.

I'm happy now!

mene, Apr 7, 2009
  6. jsn1aa1

cybershrike

Ding ding! Cheers, I know what I'll be doing this week then!

cybershrike, Apr 7, 2009
  7. jsn1aa1

bigrd

Damn!! I still can't get it to work but then I have the AR5007.

bigrd, Apr 8, 2009
  8. jsn1aa1

brushless

I have an AAO D150. The AR5007EG is recognized as an AirPort Extreme and turned on partially with the status showing yellow in System Preferences:Networks but not green and kept on scanning but could not detect any WIFI signals. It is setup as device en0 because the ethernet port based on the Attansic L1 is not recognized. Can anyone teach me how to set the AR5007EG to device en1 to test if it would make a difference?

brushless, Apr 11, 2009
  9. jsn1aa1

cybershrike

Well I managed to get it to recognise the card, but now it doesn't find any networks, same as the above poster but I'm trying through the Airport Menu and Kismac, and also by specifying the connection manually. I know I'm definitely in wireless range of about 4 networks that can be found and connected to under Linpus & Ubuntu.

Steps I took to get to this stage:

Updated BIOS to 3039 found at http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html
    Followed Diablonet's guide to install IAktos v5 10.5.5 http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7802 except I'm doing if off of a flash drive instead, and not allowing it to install a boot loader, and I'm using EFI V8 boot with Grub installed in an Ubuntu partition.
    Installed all Diablo .kexts found in SbMs excellent guide http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10197.
    Installed the latest version of the IO80211Family.kext file linked by Dismal in this thread.

Which worked but just kept scanning so I grabbed the Airport 2008-004.dmg file to try, then reapplied IO80211Family.kext but it still hangs on scanning.

I'll probably have more of a play with it tonight, see if there's a solution.

cybershrike, Apr 14, 2009
  10. jsn1aa1

cybershrike

Hah, I figured it out. It was a bit of a school boy error!

I booted into my OS X partition and it didn't connect to my home network at all, so rebooted into Ubuntu...which also wasn't connecting over wireless.

Head scratch! Ubuntu wouldn't let me use the hardware switch so I re-rebooted back into Linpus and found my wireless wasn't switched on at all, switched it on under Linpus re-re-rebooted into OS X, fired up Kismac and spotted my network and quit Kismac, then went through Airport Menu, connected to my network. Seems fairly stable!

Post wrote of course on my new MacbookOne

cybershrike, Apr 14, 2009
  11. jsn1aa1

azz2811

The rapis share link is dead! were do i get the files?

thanks

azz2811, Apr 19, 2009
  12. jsn1aa1

azz2811

dont worry i found it else wear. thanks sooo much for this guide! im now connected to my home wireless typing this!

azz2811, Apr 20, 2009
  13. jsn1aa1

cybershrike

Actually, after my earlier success it's now more like 1 in 10 attempts it'll connect, think I'm just going to give up and get the Dell card, even though that's quitting

cybershrike, Apr 20, 2009
  14. jsn1aa1

brushless

Just installed the DW1390 WLAN card on my AAO D150 and it works perfectly for OSX86 and WinXP. I bought in on eBay for US$12.00 which includes postage shipped from Shanghai to anywhere in the world. I'll keep my Atheros card around, in anticipation of the day when a working driver eventually appears ... cheers :)

brushless, Apr 20, 2009
  15. jsn1aa1

azz2811

i had the wifi working really well for quite some time and then i had to re-boot and my aao stared up and i have no gray bars in the apple airport thing!

what can i do to fix this!

azz2811, Apr 21, 2009
  16. jsn1aa1

cybershrike

If you click it does it say "Switch Airport On"? Or does it say "no airport card installed"? If it's the latter switch your AA1 off and try booting into another OS :)

I've worked out where I was going wrong, you need to turn airport off in os x before restarting or shutting down, then when you reboot switch it on then fire up kismac. It's worked the last 2/3 restarts I've done!

cybershrike, Apr 21, 2009
  17. jsn1aa1

azz2811

it says no airport card installed :( i will try agian with installing the kext and kismac

azz2811, Apr 21, 2009
  18. jsn1aa1

cybershrike

If you get no airport card installed after it's been working best thing to do is shut down completely, reboot into another os (do you have another installed?) and go online through that for 5/10 minutes, then reboot back into os x and it should redetect it. Then switch Airport off in OS X, reboot, switch it back on in the Airport menu and it should be working.

Don't know if I'm having anymore or less success since I did it but I copied the .kexts from IO80211Family.kext (show package contents, contents, plugins) into IONetworkingFamily.kext (show package content, content, plugins).

Might write a simple script to try automate the disabling and reenabling on shutdown and boot. Would probably be simpler than my idea of porting the Atheros drivers to OS X hah

cybershrike, Apr 21, 2009
  19. jsn1aa1

azz2811

i have no other os installed so what i did is i up-dated the kernel to voodoo i was original on vanilla and then i i followed jsn's instructions and it worked!

what you have told me sounds very usefull and it would be very nice if you could make a script thanks!

azz2811, Apr 21, 2009
  20. jsn1aa1

ellopr

Can Someone else very this. I had very little success with this procedure. My big problem is that even when the card is working the power or reception is minimal and I explain myself. I upload Kismac and see no network, but if I put my aao very close to my router I get signal but very low. This only happen in OSX, since I have Ubuntu and XP intalled too and they are working perfectly battery or on AC. Can someone verify if they get the same result when Kismac appear not show any network.

How it is possible that the wifi card can detect networks but with very little reception, just like there weren't any antennas? I though that it will work or not, but my wifi card is some where in the middle.

ellopr, Apr 25, 2009
Ask a Question