SOLVED: Gramps, genealogy software

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nigelwill, Sep 18, 2008.

1. nigelwill

nigelwill

I'm looking for some genealogy software for my Aspire One so I can record (and import) the family tree. I found a package called Gramps which I managed to install, but it gives a segmentation fault when I run it. Can anyone help or suggest an alternate package that might work on the Aspire One?

nigelwill, Sep 18, 2008
  2. nigelwill

mhgoose

Re: Gramps, genealogy software

I had the same problem with version 2.2.8. You need version 2.2.10.

Start the package manager, select <edit><repositories> and add the Fedora Development repository. You should now find 2 versions of GRAMPS listed. Uninstall 2.2.8 (if you have not done so already) and install 2.2.10.

This version works here.

Don't forget to check the GRAMPS website <http://gramps-project.org/> to see how to use the program.

If this works for you, you might wish to mark the thread subject as solved.

mhgoose, Sep 18, 2008
  3. nigelwill

nigelwill

Re: Gramps, genealogy software

Thanks for the tip, I un-installed the old version, added the repository and installed 2.2.10. Seems to work OK, just checking the Help about importing a .ged file from a web application I have been using.

I will update the thread title to Solved.

nigelwill, Sep 19, 2008
  4. nigelwill

mhgoose

Glad to hear it worked for you!

I am using GRAMPS on my desktop PC which runs PCLinuxOS. The version of GRAMPS in their repository is GRAMPS 2.3.9-1. I am looking forward to using version 3.0.1 when its is available for PCLinuxOS. I have run it in an Ubuntu virtual machine and I prefer it.

I may try the GRAMPS/Ubuntu live CD and see if it is usable on the AA1.

mhgoose, Sep 19, 2008
Ask a Question