[SOLVED]Installing Amarok

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by corowakid, Aug 22, 2008.

1. corowakid

corowakid

Well, I used Add/Remove Programs to download Amarok and dependencies and all seemed to go OK - I got a notice that the operation had been performed satisfactorily.

Problem is - I can't see how/where I can use the program! I can't find any reference to it in the Right Click menu, can't suss out any files using Search.

Could someone help me understand what to do to get the program to show, and me to use it? I've searched the Amarok posts and there's a lot of people who have used the Add/Remove route and are using the program. I can't figure out why I can't do the same.

Thanks for any help/advice.

corowakid, Aug 22, 2008
  2. corowakid

phemmy

Re: Installing Amarok

You should be able to find it under the multimedia section, provided you have activated the advanced desktop. Just right-click, go to multimedia and Amarok should be there.

phemmy, Aug 22, 2008
  3. corowakid

SuzuKube

You have to type in a terminal

Code:
    sudo yum install amarok amarok-extras-nonfree
    And you'll get amarok playing mp3 ;)

SuzuKube, Aug 23, 2008
  4. corowakid

corowakid

Excellent! Thanks very much - worked straight out of the box. I run Ubuntu on my PC, and getting to terms with Fedora is going to take me some time. Happily, I followed the download and understood what was happening etc.

Many thanks

corowakid, Aug 24, 2008
  5. corowakid

kirian

I tried this - got amarok but got a message in terminal saying there is no amarok-extras-nonfree package. So I can't play mp3s.

Any ideas?

thanks

kirian, Aug 27, 2008
  6. corowakid

IMSancho

The amarok-extras-nonfree package is from the livna repository, http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/, you'll need the Fedora 8 package and then should be able to access it with yum and the add/remove programs link.

IMSancho, Aug 28, 2008
  7. corowakid

amj

Many thanks. This all worked for me, and now I can play my MP3 files.

The other part of the puzzle is playing my imported .wma files. I did a search on this forum and didn't find a single hit.
    Any pointers?

Cheers,
    AJ

amj, Aug 28, 2008
  8. corowakid

IMSancho

By default Amarok is probably using the Xine engine to play, so try installing the xine-lib-extras-nonfree package and see if that enables your WMA's

IMSancho, Aug 29, 2008
  9. corowakid

amj

Hi IMSancho,

Thanks for the tip. I did check, and Amarok is indeed using the Xine engine. So, I checked my installed software, and found that xine-lib-extras-nonfree is already installed.

I looked in the default audio tool "Media Master", which does play .wma files, to see if I could find what engine it uses ... but there doesn't seem to be any kind of configuration panel at all, so no joy there.

Since this thread is marked Solved, I'm going to start a new one, in the hope of getting some further visibility.

Cheers,
    AJ

amj, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question