Some applications not working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by chatty, Dec 26, 2008.

1. chatty

chatty

Hey
    I just got my aspire one and after installing most of the live updates, some programs from the acer site and installing openoffice 3 some applications just wont start. These applications arre:
    Email
    RSS Reader
    Contacts
    Calendar

These applications were working before I installed the updates etc. Can someone please help help me to get these applications working again? Is there anyway that I can reinstall these apps?
    Thank You

chatty, Dec 26, 2008
  2. chatty

grwkak

What programs did you install from the Acer site?

If Firefox 3 is one of them I wonder if that program installation broke these. They rely on parts of Firefox 2 from what I have read elsewhere in this forum.

grwkak, Dec 26, 2008
  3. chatty

chatty

yes firefox 3 was one of them. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Should I remove firefox 3 and go back to 2?
    How would I do this?

EDIT: I just found a guide to installing firefox 3 another way using terminal and in it the person said that firefox 2 cant be removed because apps depend on it. Poor show for acer releasing firefox 3 on their website without telling us this.
    How would I install firefox 2 again?

chatty, Dec 26, 2008
  4. chatty

grwkak

grwkak, Dec 26, 2008
  5. chatty

capac

Am not sure it's FF3.... I installed FF3 yesterday, and ran my email client without any issues...until I start doing the live update....
    Now any of the applications : email, contacts, calendar etc don't work anymore...

I tried launching the apps through terminal window : e.g. for email it's : AME -mail

then i got this error :

[user@localhost ~]$ AME -mail
    /usr/acer/bin/AMEbin: error while loading shared libraries: libxpcom_core.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

not sure what this libxpcom_core.so file is... any ideas?

capac, Dec 26, 2008
  6. chatty

daldred

libxpcom_core.so on my system is in the directory /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14. My AAO is fully updated, but I haven't switched to FF3.

Have you got that directory in your system?

daldred, Dec 26, 2008
  7. chatty

capac

hi david, i do have the ff 2.0.14 dir but only with the subdirs plugins and extras...no lib file there...wonder if ff3 removed that...
    weird, cause i installed ff3 yesterday, and this morning my mail was still working.
    i guess this libxpcom_core.so is a shared lib file accross apps?
    tx

capac, Dec 26, 2008
  8. chatty

grwkak

That library file is used by Firefox 2 and is needed by Acer Mail.

grwkak, Dec 26, 2008
  9. chatty

capac

thnx grwkak, now, it's claiming it needs another shared library...

[user@localhost ~]$ AME -mail
    /usr/acer/bin/AMEbin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkembedmoz.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

am checking if all libs have been installed....if that doesn't work, i might want to reinstall linplus again :(

capac, Dec 26, 2008
  10. chatty

daldred

libgtkembedmoz.so is also in my Firefox 2.0.0.14 directory...

(An .so file in Linux is a bit like a Windows dll file - it's a library of shared objects which applications can use).

daldred, Dec 26, 2008
  11. chatty

capac

thnx...challenge now is to get all files from ff2.0.0.14 back into that directory...but, cant find an rpm with ff 2.0.0.14 to install again...

capac, Dec 26, 2008
  12. chatty

daldred

It's listed in add/remove programs (Pirut) on mine - but then it is installed on mine, so that doesn't guarantee it's available to install! Worth looking, though; using the search tab is quicker than trying to find it in the browse tab.

daldred, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question