Some questions from a distressed Linux User

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by criskeune, Jan 15, 2009.

1. criskeune

criskeune

Ok, I am not exactly a beginner, since I have this AAO 110 since last september. But I need some help here. What I really wanted to do is to give away this Acer and buy a HP Mini Note (Via 2133), but this one is a little too expensive for me at this moment. So I have to cope with this Acer One 8GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, Linpus Linux anyway... My questions are the following:

1) My AAO has a Portuguese keyboard, but I choose to let the English Language. I only want the KEYBOARD activated to Portuguese (Brazilian), since my mother language needs some special characters, like "Ç", "`", "´", "~", "^", etc ... Before you ask my why I did not have chosen the Portuguese Language in the beginning, I tell you that I prefer English (to the software and applications) than Portuguese, since the Portuguese available in the beginning is from Portugal, and I have some weird issues with that kind of Portuguese - no offense with my brothers from the other side of the Atlantic. I have already tried to configure this with the "Language input settings", but it does not work.

2) Again about languages, I need to know what to do to make the simbol "?" availabe. In my AAO keyboard, this simbol comes only as a secondary key, together with the "W" key. But I have tried everything to activated it, to no avail .... (Control + W, Alt + W, ALT gr + W, etc -- nothing works)

3) Languages again: Everytime I open the text editor from OpenOffice, I have to change the language settings (for the corrections, etc). This happens even when I simply shift windows, between Write and Internet. When I come back to the Write's window from the Mozilla's window, I have to change it again. This really "sucks", specially when I am taking notes at class. I need the Office Language choice to be availabe permanently as Portuguese (Brazilian), but this never happens. I don't know where I am going wrong here...

4) Is there a way to use a Nokia N95 3G as a 3G moden under Linux? I can do that with my other notebook with XP (the one I am currently writting this post). I have read something about a "Juikku" software, but I not sure if this would disturb the wi-fi configuration, since I use wi-fi as a first option, leaving the 3G only when there is no Wi-fi network availabe.

Sory for the long post....

Thanks in advance,

Cristina

criskeune, Jan 15, 2009
  2. criskeune

meng

This solution was posted in a previous thread:

Open a terminal. alt+f2, type in "terminal"

In the terminal type (2 commands):
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/oobe
    rm oobe.log
    confirm with "y"

reboot the computer, and you will be asked to select language again.

This may solve some of your problems.

meng, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question