Something strange just happened with North Korea's Internet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Ever since North Korea directly connected to the Internet in 2010, there’s been a lot of interest in how the world’s most closed country maintains and uses the link.

It connects a handful of Web sites in Pyongyang serving propaganda to the world and allows foreigners in the country largely unfiltered access to the Internet. It also provides monitored access to an unknown number of senior officials, scientists, and university students.

Yet for everything we’ve learned, there’s still a lot we don’t know and now there’s a new mystery: Last week, the country’s sole Internet link with the rest of the world went down for about three hours. It was the longest outage of the year and meant the entire country was disconnected from the Internet, according to monitoring by Dyn Research.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3055...just-happened-with-north-koreas-internet.html

Sefie, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

That is interesting, though three hours of outage isn't all that bad and it would go by fairly fast. I just don't think I can live in such a controlling environment!

IcyBC, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Kim had all of the internet staff working hard to design a new web site for Dennis Rodman ;) (just kidding). That is strange that their internet would go out like that for that long. The only thing that seems like it might be the case is if they were upgrading the servers or had to change the entire system all at once to make it to where future upgrades can or would be modular. Nonetheless, it is very strange.

IBMPC8088, Apr 14, 2016
  4. Sefie

Corzhens

A little trivia of North Korean internet.

My niece was in Seoul, South Korea last year. She said that Koreans intimated to her about the North Korean internet that it is only for the exclusive use of the government and some selected people. For North Koreans to use the internet, they go across the border to China and rent a Chinese phone for that purpose. That's also what they do to communicate with South Koreans - renting phone from the Chinese in the border. But crossing the North Korean border is risky for they can be shot on the spot.

Corzhens, Apr 14, 2016
  5. Sefie

acer93

Maybe some kind hacker stuff? Also outage in North Korea are not so rare so we can really see it as a showcase, them im showing the people that the country does not need internet anyways.

acer93, Apr 23, 2016
  6. Sefie

Sefie

Probably, we know so little about hose people. I feel so bad fr those trapped in there, I've heard those people live in constant fear, I wonder how university students feel after using the internet? Kinda depressing.

Sefie, Apr 25, 2016
  7. Sefie

Sefie

Yes, I can't even imagine what it must be like to live in that place. I don't believe in hell per se, but if there is indeed a hell I'm sure the closest to it would be north Korea.

Sefie, Apr 25, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  8. Sefie

Sefie

Lol, I love it how you always make me laugh, you always come up with some humoristic joke even in the most grim posts, I like that :) And yeah, it was most likely that, is not like the internet was gone for one or two days. That would be really weird, but for the general population it doesn't truly matter :(

Sefie, Apr 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. Sefie

OursIsTheFury

Pretty interesting. People would come up with lots of theories behind that outage. Maybe it was just a technical issue and there's no dark secret behind it? Just my two cents, I think they have really terrible tech support over there, I'm not surprised this has never happened more often.

OursIsTheFury, Apr 26, 2016
  10. Sefie

obliviousme

That's interesting and kind of eerie how disconnected their country is from the rest of the world for 3 hours. Maybe the Korean government shut it down for security purposes, perhaps they were testing out something major.. i don't know really just a wild guess.

obliviousme, Apr 27, 2016
Ask a Question