Songbird on linpus (with desktop icon)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fredlan, Dec 11, 2008.

1. fredlan

fredlan

I might be asking for a miracle, but is there first a way to install Songbird when using linpus?

Most importantly, can there be some sort of a desktop icon in the basic linpus interface? For example my kid and wife won't be able to go in command mode to launch the application and this is why i like for them the basic linpus interface.

Your input and help is appreciated.

Cheers from a long time Windows user that is converting to the Linux religion.

fredlan, Dec 11, 2008
  2. fredlan

markh

Well, I've just had it play a song to me on linpus, so it's possible. Now, just need to replicate my steps for you...

Okay, see if this works. I tried to copy a macles guide, but couldn't make it work, so you've got the slightly bodged up version:

In terminal enter (one at a time)
    Code:
    wget "http://download.songbirdnest.com/installer/linux/i686/Songbird_1.0.0-860_linux-i686.tar.gz"
    sudo tar -zvxf Songbird_1.0.0-860_linux-i686.tar.gz --directory /opt
    sudo chown user -R /opt/Songbird
    You now have songbird downloaded, and should launch via /opt/Songbird/songbird . I tried to make a link into /usr/bin at this point, but couldn't make it work for some reason.

To create a .desktop file (which contains the info necessary to have a desktop icon), enter one line at a time:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/applications/pcmmvp.desktop /usr/share/applications/songbird.desktop
    sudo mousepad /usr/share/applications/songbird.desktop
    This copies the existing file from the media player, and brings it up for you to edit. If you've deleted it before now, you'll have to improvise. Replace the contents with:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Songbird
    Comment=Play songs
    Icon=/opt/Songbird/songbird.png
    Exec=/opt/Songbird/songbird
    Terminal=false
    StartupNotify=true
    Categories=GTK;Application;Audio;
    Hopefully you're now getting an idea of the innards of a desktop file by looking at that.

To add it (or anything else) to the desktop, enter:
    Code:
    mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml
    This file controls the desktop. Scroll down to the Fun section, and add a new entry like this:
    Code:
    <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/songbird.desktop</app>
    You'll need to change that 5 to something appropriate (it controls where it appears in the list; don't duplicate numbers in the same section, though!)

Save, and then restart. Cross your fingers that I retraced my steps properly, and go to see if it's worked. With any luck, you also now know how to alter your desktop.

markh, Dec 11, 2008
  3. fredlan

fredlan

Thanks Mark, I will try this on the week-end and will comment on the results.
    The help is much appreciated.

fredlan, Dec 12, 2008
  4. fredlan

fredlan

Hi mark,
    It worked up to a certain point. The songbird install and desktop icon works. The only bug is that I now have 3 page in the "Fun" menu and the songbird icon is in the third page.

Here is my XML file:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <xfdesktop>
    	<upperbutton>/usr/share/desktop-directories/upperbutton.desktop</upperbutton>
            <setting exec="">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory</setting>
            <help exec="">/usr/share/desktop-directories/help.directory</help>
    <group>
           <id>1</id>
           <sequence>0</sequence>

<directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-blue-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk.png</background_picture>
           <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/blue-more.desktop</app>
    </group>
      <group>
           <id>2</id>
           <sequence>1</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-orange-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Works.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk.png</background_picture>
    	 <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/orange-more.desktop</app>
     </group> 
      <group>
           <id>3</id>
           <sequence>2</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-yellow-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Fun.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk.png</background_picture>
    	 <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/yellow-more.desktop</app>

</group>  

<group>
    	 <id>4</id>
    	 <sequence>3</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-green-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Files.directory</directory_file>
    	 <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk.png</background_picture>
    	 <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/green-more.desktop</app>
     </group> 
    <group>
           <id>5</id>
           <sequence>4</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-large.png</background_picture>
    	 <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/blue-back.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="2" acs="email">/usr/share/applications/AME.desktop</app>
             <app sequence="1" acs="im">/usr/share/applications/acerim.desktop</app>
             <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop</app>

<app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app>
          	 <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/googlemap.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/wikipedia.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/webmail.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="7">/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop</app></group>
      <group>
           <id>6</id>
           <sequence>5</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Works.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk-large.png</background_picture>

<app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/orange-back.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-impress.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/acercalendar.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/acercontact.desktop</app>
    	 <!--app icon="burning.png" name="CD/DVD Burning" sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/gnome-gcalctool.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="6">/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop</app>-->
    	 <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/galculator.desktop</app>			 

<app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/xpad.desktop</app>			 
    </group>
      <group>
           <id>7</id>
           <sequence>6</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Fun.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-large.png</background_picture>
    	 <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/yellow-back.desktop</app>
             <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/pcmmvp.desktop</app>
             <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/pcmphoto.desktop</app>

<dir sequence="2" dir_id="1">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Games.directory</dir>
    	 <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/ucview.desktop</app>

<app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/kolourpaint.desktop</app>
    <!--         <app icon="internetradio.png" name="Internet Radio" sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/realplay.desktop</app>
             <app icon="picture.png" sequence="12">/usr/share/applications/gthumb.desktop</app>-->
    	 <app sequence="25">/usr/share/applications/songbird.desktop</app>
    </group>

<group>
    	 <id>8</id>
    	 <sequence>7</sequence>
           <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Files.directory</directory_file>
    	 <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk-large.png</background_picture>

<app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/green-back.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/Document.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/Picture.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/Music.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/Video.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/Download.desktop</app>
             <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop</app>
     <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/fedora-gnomebaker.desktop</app></group> 

<group>
        <id>9</id>
        <sequence>8</sequence>
        <directory_file exec="" icon="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/gray-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory</directory_file>
        <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/gray-bk-large.png</background_picture>
        <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/settings-back.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/gsynaptics.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/system-config-date.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/linpus-printconf-gui.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/xfce-display-settings.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/sysinfo.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="7">/usr/share/applications/onlineupdate.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/redhat-userpasswd.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/keyboard_layout.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/networkcenter.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/audio.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/powercenter.desktop</app>
        <app sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/linpus-scim-setup.desktop</app>
      </group>
    <dir id="1" parent_dir_id="0">
    	<directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/FunGames.directory</directory_file>
           <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-large-games.png</background_picture>

<app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/yellow-back.desktop</app>

<app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/ltris.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/linpus-frozen-bubble.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/tuxpuck.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/llk_linux.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/supertux.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/bubbleshooter.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/ButterFlight.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="7">/usr/share/applications/snooker.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/checkers.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/mahjong.desktop</app>
    	<app sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/volleyballey.desktop</app>
    </dir>
    </xfdesktop>

Can you help me with this?

Thanks in advance
    Fred

fredlan, Dec 16, 2008
  5. fredlan

markh

Find the line
    Code:
     <app sequence="25">/usr/share/applications/songbird.desktop</app>
    The sequence="25" is what determines what position in the desktop menu the icon will appear in. As there's only space for 12 per page, I'm guessing that's why position 25 is on the 3rd page. You have apps in positions 0 to 4, so change that 25 to 5, and you ought to be fine.

markh, Dec 17, 2008
  6. fredlan

fredlan

Hurray!
    Victory is mine (and yours Mark)

Thanks so much for the help.

fredlan, Dec 17, 2008
  7. fredlan

mlawrenson

<snipped contents>

I'm the newest Linux newbie there is. I can't figure out how to do this. I try and save the modified songbird.desktop file, but it won't write the file.

mlawrenson, Dec 18, 2008
  8. fredlan

fredlan

Hi,

instead of just entering
    try addind sudo in front:
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /usr/share/applications/songbird.desktop

fredlan, Dec 18, 2008
  9. fredlan

mlawrenson

Works a treat. Thanks. :)

mlawrenson, Dec 18, 2008
  10. fredlan

markh

I've edited my original post to make the correction. Anyhow, how do you like Songbird? I'm quite excited by the idea of a player with plugins etc, but the current build hasn't tempted me away from Amarok.

markh, Dec 18, 2008
  11. fredlan

fredlan

I have to say I like Songbird it very much. It resembles so much Itunes that there is virtually no adaptation time required when you switch. I have no issues at all with the different Ipod's that we have at home when I sync my music.

fredlan, Dec 18, 2008
  12. fredlan

markh

Ah, do you have to get the iPod add-on for that? Not an iPod user myself, but there have quite a few questions on that topic around here. My first impressions are that it's a respectable player, a little chunkier than Amarok in resources, and that the integrated browser seems like a great idea that I haven't found a use for yet!

markh, Dec 18, 2008
  13. fredlan

fredlan

Extremely simple, you go in songbird in add-on's and select Ipod support. you click install, restart songbird and you're done. Very cool App.

fredlan, Dec 18, 2008
  14. fredlan

Helium

Thank you, a very good guide for installing songbird.

By using "scan for media" I could play the songs on my ipod shuffle 2nd gen. Nice
    I also tried to install the "Ipod Device Support" add-on from within songbird but it didn't work, not a "valid package".

Helium, Jan 7, 2009
  15. fredlan

fredlan

Did you try to install directly from songbird? Go in the TOOLS menu, ADD-ON'S and then click GET EXTENSION. This will open in your songbird the download page. Go to Playback and management and you will find IPOD device support.

fredlan, Jan 7, 2009
  16. fredlan

Helium

Thank you

The Ipod add-on installed
    I followed your instructions (while thinking "but isn't this exactly how I did it myself" )
    The difference is, this time it worked :)

Helium, Jan 8, 2009
  17. fredlan

Noodle1975

Is there any easy way to get songbird to play wma files?

Noodle1975, Jan 10, 2009
  18. fredlan

fredlan

fredlan, Jan 11, 2009
  19. fredlan

flavouredvanilla

Weird request but how do I remove Songbird.

Too much to explain why but I'm intending to reinstall sooo...

Anyone know?

flavouredvanilla, Jan 16, 2009
  20. fredlan

markh

Remove it from group-app.xml, and then delete its directory.

markh, Jan 16, 2009
Ask a Question