Songbird

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ncmp, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ncmp

ncmp

I love the AA1, but it comes bundled with that horrible horrible MEDIA MASTER, its so horrible i feel sick every time i load it up. I'm a windows/mac user so I have come to love itunes, no itunes for linux as apple are greedy so the next best thing right? Songbird. Tried installing it, was a pain to do that. But got it installed and running. Shows all my music, but won't play!! Something to do with gstreamer apparently, but i installed the plugin in the package manager, still nothing, im in tears curled up in a ball right now lol, if someone can shed some light to why it doesn't work or point me to a howto specifically for the A1 it would be great! then the rest of us can escape the dreaded mediamaster!

Thanks

ncmp, Aug 27, 2008
  2. ncmp

2manydjs

2manydjs, Aug 27, 2008
  3. ncmp

rebuilder

For a more mature player, though, I'd recommend installing Amarok. It installs straight out of the repositories, you'll want to install the extras package to play mp3s as well. Supports MTP devices (making my AA1 more capable than my OS X system in this regard...), watch folders, last.fm scrobbling etc. I don't know about performance, but Songbird probably still has some optimizations that need doing, although they've been working on that for a while now.

rebuilder, Aug 27, 2008
  4. ncmp

ncmp

Tried amarok through the package install but due to dependencies it wanted to remove all of my games!! so NO ThanKS Amarok, thanks though :)

Also thanks 2manydjs, but I download the rpms but still the same problem!

:(
    I'll stick to my itunes on wine :'(

ncmp, Aug 27, 2008
  5. ncmp

ncmp

After some SERIOUS tweaking and fu**ing around with my laptop, I got songbird working!! And it plays my mp3's, AND AND I am writing this message within songbird (it has a browser built in too!)

I have to reload my aspire one because I messed things up in the software installer when I first got to it, now my calendar and open office don't work etc. So after that I will post a tutorial along with how to get itunes working on your AA1.

Briefly, get the livna repository, download songbird, download all of the gstreamer plugins you can find on there.

Good luck!

ncmp, Aug 28, 2008
  6. ncmp

ncmp

[​IMG]

ncmp, Aug 28, 2008
  7. ncmp

Elllipsis

Elllipsis, Aug 30, 2008
  8. ncmp

jango

Do you now how to put Songbird on Desktop???

jango, Sep 6, 2008
  9. ncmp

Andysan

Yes - ive unpacked Songbird and can run it, but where do i put it to get it recognised as an app so i don't have to run it from "Downloads" alls the time?

Thanks.

Andysan, Sep 20, 2008
  10. ncmp

Elllipsis

It should work automatically from the right click menu if you followed the instructions exactly like I posted them. If you did it differently the way I think you did, it is probably a easier fix to reinstall it my way.

Elllipsis, Oct 10, 2008
  11. ncmp

arthurinparis

Worked like a charm, thanks mate !!!

arthurinparis, Nov 22, 2008
Ask a Question