SonyEricsson c902 Vodafone Tethering on AAO

Discussion in 'Networking' started by T5Dave, Sep 12, 2009.

1. T5Dave

T5Dave

Hi, first post!

After buying my AAO yesterday, I decided to attempt to hook my SonyEricsson c902 for mobile internet. Initially, this was a complete ballache but I'm glad to say I've managed to crack it - so, for anyone that's interested - here is how I did it.

I used wvdial to set the phone up, but now I know it's working I can migrate to a more user-friendly solution, these instructions are using wvdial and assume that the phone is on Vodafone UK Contract Internet.

1: You will need to acquire a copy of cdc-acm.ko. Without it, you are on a hiding to nothing! This was the step I found to be the most irritating as I couldn't find the module. For future reference, you can download it at http://www.box.net/shared/ekbcnzgfu8. When you download it, issue the following command in terminal (assuming you have downloaded it to your home directory)

Code:
    sudo cp $HOME/cdc-acm.ko /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/usb/class
    2: Issue the command

Code:
    dmesg
    then plug the phone in. Select phone mode, and reissue the command

Code:
    dmesg
    You will probably find something along the lines of the following:

Code:
    usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    usb 1-3: configuration #3 chosen from 1 choice
    cdc_acm 1-3:3.1 ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    cdc_acm 1-3:3.3 ttyACM1: USB ACM device
    usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
    drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
    The important lines are the cdc_acm ones - the ttyACMx is where the phone device is held.

3: Issue the command

Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/wvdial.conf
    and when mousepad loads the conf file, edit it so that it is similar to the one below (beware though, I haven't quite finished tweaking this, so although it works - it might not be 100% correct)

Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Phone = *99***2#
    APN = internet
    Username = web
    Password = web
    Modem = /dev/ttyACMx (where x is the device given in the dmesg output)
    Baud = 460800
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    Stupid Mode = 1 (may not be required, I'm currently testing this)

The "Phone =" line must begin *99***. If you have access to a Windows PC and you have installed the SonyEricsson PC software to it, plug your phone into the PC, select the Internet Connection option, Select "Advanced Settings" from the drop down box, right click the internet connection (in my case Vodafone 3G) and click on the Properties tab. When the properties window pops up, select the Context tab, and make a note of the number that is in the CID box. In my case it was 2.

That number gets appended to the Phone= line to give the correct number/init line. As in my working example: *99***2#

4: In Terminal, issue the command

Code:
    sudo wvdial
    and it should begin the PPP connection, list DNS IP addresses and you should be done. Fire up Firefox or ping and everything should work.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make wvdial run as a nonprivelidged user, but at the minute - I'm just chuffed it works!!

Hope this helps someone sometime! :)

T5Dave, Sep 12, 2009
Ask a Question