Soon to be owner

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jools, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jools

jools

Hi :D

I am due to get my new Acer A150 with Linpus for Christmas, I would like to be able to use word and excel documents from my laptop, is this easily done or should I change to windows XP?

Does anyone have any other tips that will be useful when I get to unwrap my Acer

many thanks ;)

jools, Dec 9, 2008
  2. jools

markh

Hi, the standard linpus install comes with open office, and reads word/excel etc out of the box (but has some compatability issues with excel macros, I believe). Open office has it's own native document formats, and so may try to save new documents in a non-MS office format (not a bad thing, IMHO, but you may wish compatability with your windows desktop or something). There are some easy settings changes in openoffice to use word/excel formats as standard - if you have any issues with it, you can ask again.
    For other tips...the forums are full of them, it depends what sort of stuff you would like. Easy jobs might be updating openoffice to v3, updating firefox (the supplied browser) to v3, etc. If you have any preferences for email clients etc, you can alter the default apps to a wide variety of choices, such as thunderbird. If you want to watch videos, updating to vlc is a good idea. There are bios updates which fix some teething problems. macles.blogspot.com is a useful site with precise instructions on how to perform these and other updates.

markh, Dec 9, 2008
  3. jools

jools

thanks for your help on this, looks like I will be busy on Christmas Day :?

jools, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question