Sound does not work

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lolknight, Aug 23, 2008.

1. lolknight

lolknight

I followed the guide on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne (without SSD mods) on my 120GB XP 6-cell version of AAO, but sound no longer works. It worked when I first installed it, but I wanted internal mic to work as well. Now, when the system boots up, I can hear the beep when login window loads, but after that, dead silence. I can't figure out a way to test the microphone either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

lolknight, Aug 23, 2008
  2. lolknight

clairvaux

I'm experiencing the same issue.

I can hear the african drumroll when I'm presented the login screen... but after logging in, none of the audio works on any of my applications.

The weird thing is, it was fine yesterday. Since then I installed some codecs, but I didn't do anything to the drivers.

What I did to fix it, was rebuild the alsa drivers by following the steps as outlined in the ubuntu hardy installation guide.

Try that.

clairvaux, Aug 24, 2008
  3. lolknight

clairvaux

well this is crazy-- the drivers just stopped working yet again. hmm

clairvaux, Aug 25, 2008
  4. lolknight

rolfijn

Sorry, can't help here, but i do have the same problem. I too have been tinkering with wifi and audio, following the guidelines in the wiki and this forum. I have been experiencing, as have a lot of people on this board, problems with both. In the beginning sound seemed to work, but at the moment my One is in a state where wifi works and audio doesn't (at all). I've also had 'm working both (i could watch and listen to youtube over my wireless connection) once, but that was while i was setting the whole thing up. I've been tinkering a lot since that moment but never noticed until yesterday. While troubleshooting i had it often in a state where wireless works, but audio only the drumroll when the login-screen appeares and sometimes when i logged in i could still hear the "ubuntu-tingle". But after that: no sound.

I read somewhere on this forum that i could try to set "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" in (i think) /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base . I'm going to try this tonight...

My hopes are not very high. I see a lot of questions on this board about it and a lot of solutions to, which might indicate that these are for resolving symptons instead of the cause.

rolfijn, Aug 27, 2008
  5. lolknight

jss42

I now have the same problem
    I've gone back to:
    options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba
    #options snd-hda-intel model=auto

In the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file as having auto set just seemed to stop audio working.

jss42, Aug 27, 2008
  6. lolknight

lolknight

I don't know why, but I booted into Ubuntu yesterday and sound started working. I hope it'll stay that way ;)

good luck to those still trying to fix it!

lolknight, Aug 27, 2008
  7. lolknight

rolfijn

I'll be damned! I just changed "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" into "options snd-hda-intel model=acer" in the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and here i am; listing to my music collection over my wireless connection. This means that for me the setting "model=acer" works! Happy happy joy joy. Perhaps people with the same problem could try it and see if it works for them too. If so we should update the wiki.

rolfijn, Aug 27, 2008
  8. lolknight

lolknight

My biggest concern was... does internal mic work?

lolknight, Aug 27, 2008
  9. lolknight

DunklerProphet

it didn't work on my one :(((

DunklerProphet, Aug 27, 2008
  10. lolknight

rolfijn

Hello,

Well i was originally responding to the original poster who couldn't get his sound to work. Neither could I so I was very pleased when i got it working. However, because of the response on this thread i also tried the internal microphone (using the Recording Level Monitor in the Sound & Video menu) but, just like some of the other posters, no internal microphone. Then i tinkered around and i got it working by now. You might want to try:

- start a terminal (as a regular user)
    - start "alsamixer"
    - type "F4" to see all "capturing" devices
    - You'll see a column called "input so". This stands for "input source". Go there using the left and/or right arrow-keys
    - When you've reached it you can toggle it with the up/down arrow keys and switch between line and internal. Choose "internal".
    - Also, the bars for "Mic Boost" and "Capture" should have some height at least (i think).
    - Exit using "ESC". I Encountered some errors when testing with alsamixer still open.
    - With internal selected i was able to use the internal mic with the "Record Level Monitor" and also with "Sound Recorder" It appears therefor that the internal microphone works (for me).

Hope this is helpful.

Rolf

(And just as i tried to save this post, it seemed i had lost my network connection. For a moment i had the idea that this had something to do with selecting the internal mic (huh?) but now it works again... . Just keep my fingers crossed i guess and hope it was just a temporary loss of signal.)

rolfijn, Aug 27, 2008
  11. lolknight

robandjeanne

I don't suppose there's anyway on translate what you did with alsamixer to an xp aa1 with deaf mic? I searched my xp aa1 for alsamixer and it wasn't found, but the logic behind what byou did sounds great. How does one even start a terminal with xp?

robandjeanne, Dec 29, 2008
  12. lolknight

abhishekgupta92

Thanks a lot. This worked like a charm on my Acer Aspire 4763z. But the sound of the microphone is not good enough to talk in general on the internet. You have to shout to do so. Is there some other solution for the same?

abhishekgupta92, Sep 14, 2010
Ask a Question