sound problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by charlie disco, Mar 1, 2009.

1. charlie disco

charlie disco

hi, i wonder if anyone is able to help me. i have a linux 110 acer which has lost sound in a few of the applications. for instance i have no audio when streaming audio or video content in firefox (e.g. you tube, msn), and also i have no audio when running movies in vlc. however, the audio works in skype, (but can take a little coaxing). and if i play a video using the standard 'media master' the audio is fine.

as it works in some apps, i assume that it's not a hardware issue. could it be a driver issue? i am hesitant to restore the system as i've got everything set-up as i like it.

(apologies if this posting is the wrong place, i couldn't find anything else similar elsewhere).

charlie disco, Mar 1, 2009
  2. charlie disco

TheTilde

Hi
    Have you checked gnome-volume-control?
    Surely you must have checked the little volume icon on youtube videos?

TheTilde, Mar 2, 2009
  3. charlie disco

charlie disco

the volume control is set to 80%, but moving this makes no difference. no, as far as you tube and vlc are concerned the audio is playing.

charlie disco, Mar 2, 2009
  4. charlie disco

azz2811

maybe try re-installing the audio drivers im on windows but that worked for me

azz2811, Mar 2, 2009
  5. charlie disco

TheTilde

pardon me for asking, but is the slider of the volume icon embeded in the video up? Are both sliders in gnome-volume-control (master and pcm) up? They must change the volume output if media-master is playing simultaneously. Can you try this?

I don't think it's a driver issue if sound is playing in some apps. Puzzling...

TheTilde

TheTilde, Mar 9, 2009
  6. charlie disco

charlie disco

i concede this is odd. if i download a clip and play through media master, the mm volume control and the gnome volume sliders both work fine. however, if i stream the clip through firefox directly, (or the integrated m-player), the embedded volume control can be adjusted and i can adjust the volume bars in the aspire's control, but this has no effect.

if i run a movie in media master whilst streaming a clip through firefox, the fault wins and there is no sound at all.

when it comes to the volume control, i have only sliders for left and right master. should i have 'pcm' sliders as well, or have i misunderstood?

charlie disco, Mar 10, 2009
  7. charlie disco

charlie disco

actually, i tell a lie. i'm just viewing the standard linpus volume controls, i don't have a gnome desktop set-up. do you think that this would help?

charlie disco, Mar 10, 2009
  8. charlie disco

charlie disco

i gave up in the end with trying to figure out the problem and went for a full os reinstall from the recovery DVD.

a bit drastic, but it did the trick .

charlie disco, Jul 28, 2009
  9. charlie disco

stuartjs

I think I had exactly the same problem, but I have manged to find a way around it (at least for me)
    Like many I am a Linpus Linux newby so this is a very non technical solution but worked for me - I have the SSD AA1, so in order to keep my free space in order I put any large A/V material onto an external USB key. I had previously turned down the volume in the MPlayer control gadget whilst watching content from the USB stick (The fact that I do this on a USB stick I dont think is really relevant here - the same would occur if the content were from internal memory) . However prior to tuning in to a live web stream (from BBC radio iPlayer) and in order to hear the web stream I have to ensure that I turn up the volume in MPlayer before quitting.
    When tuning in to the BBC iPlayer stream all you get is a pop up window with no MPlayer control gadget. It would appear that the volume control in the pop out window works in conjunction with the last setting of the MPlayer.
    It would be helpful if someone could provide a more technical explanation of this phenomena / explain if this is what really should happen.

stuartjs, Oct 6, 2009
Ask a Question