SP2 instalation on AAO (Linpus + SSD1800 version)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by maia, Aug 20, 2008.

1. maia

maia

Hello from Portugal :D

Before anything else, let me tell you that I have read a lot about this on the net, especially this forum.

So here it goes:

Yesterday I got a brand new AAO (standard 512MB spec with Linpus and the SSD1800 HD).
    I also got an external DVD drive because it could come in handy (I could install windows from a Pen Drive, but having the DVD is so much more straight forward).
    Before wipping the HD, I updated the BIOS from v0.3109 to the latest v0.3114. No issues at all.
    I have disabled D2D Recovery and Network Boot on the BIOS.
    Then I boot from the windows cd (one that I always use, is "tweaked" and makes all my computers a bit faster) and delete all the partitions. I chose to format in normal NTFS mode.

Problem is that it takes an unsually long time to install Windows. I'm currently on another laptop and the AAO is still installing Start Menu items (and I started installing Windows over an hour ago!! -> around 1:20min).

Seriously, how can anyone think this is reasonable? I hope it'll be faster under windows and only the installion is very slow.

Any further tips? I haven't tried installing on FAT.

Best regards.

maia, Aug 20, 2008
  2. maia

maia

This is going back to the store. Doesn't fit my needs. Far too slow due to the SSD exclusively (otherwise an impressive little machine). The CPU is awesome (for it's size and power consumption).
    Best regards and thank you all.

maia, Aug 20, 2008
  3. maia

pdox

when i firts formatted the ssd to ntfs format, it took about 2 hours to install xp and it was extremely slow.
    once i formatted the ssd to fat32, winxp installed in less than an hour, maybe less than 40 minutes (the screen showed 36 or so minutes). It didn't take long for me to install my web browsers and other frequently used programs either.

pdox, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question