Speed up OpenGL Graphics

Discussion in 'Linux' started by number78, Aug 22, 2008.

1. number78

number78

Found this while investigating graphics speedups on X. Not sure if it speeds up all OpenGL stuff, as I don't think GlxGears is super taxing, but it's worth a shot. I included this in another thread post, but I think it's worth investigating! :)

Did you guys try this:
    (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_GMA_950)
    This increased my glxgears fps from 450ish to over 900. Not sure if it actually makes vids faster, will test this weekend!

number78, Aug 22, 2008
  2. number78

Foranamo

Just adding that export -line made my glxgears fps go from 450 to 950. Nice one.

Foranamo, Aug 22, 2008
  3. number78

BlackLagoon

Interesting. Apparently the INTEL_BATCH line can cause problems with certain Compiz effects (screen rotation), which is probably why it's not on by default, but for games this one looks pretty safe.

Not sure if the adding Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" to xorg.conf will do much though... I believe Linpus reverts changes to it at boot, so you'd have to edit Linpus' boot scripts instead.

BlackLagoon, Aug 22, 2008
  4. number78

anz

Great - thanks alot!
    After adding
    Code:
    export INTEL_BATCH=1

to /etc/profile glxgears speeds up from 450fps to about 940fps.

Also: thank you for that hint!

anz, Aug 22, 2008
  5. number78

gbee

It's not safe for games either, the Ubuntu bug tracker lists problems in at least two games caused by INTEL_BATCH, one of which is crashes and systems freezes. Even the driver maintainer recommends it be disabled since it's experimental and very unstable.

So maybe this thread should carry a big, unmissable health warning at the top?

gbee, Aug 23, 2008
  6. number78

Demiurge

Based on my experience, using this driver combined with updated mesa-libGL and the INTEL_BATCH line, I've had no problems with Compiz so far. Seems as there initially where some problems with the INTEL-line vs. Compiz but they have been resolved in the updated 2.1.1-driver. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Demiurge, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question