SSD dead ... or just sick?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by maniacalboy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. maniacalboy

maniacalboy

Hi,

after couple of days of using my second AA1 (the first one had to be sent back after it couldn't even start the OS right), the SSD started showing off some weird behavior. I have the 512MB model with Linpus, no hardware mods yet, so this is not a RAM upgrade issue.

I was working in a terminal and suddenly I couldn't run a program because a file in /usr/share/... couldn't be found - and really, just doing ls in /usr/share met with mixed results - first it didn't work, 5 seconds later it did, then it stopped again. All other programs actually locked up (I guess they were trying to access the disk or at least swap) and after a few minutes I didn't know anything better than to shut it down with the power button and boot again... only to find a "no bootable device" message. So I tried again and again and again and finally got it to boot up normally (BIOS showed the SSD drive all the time on the first screen after F2, but it wasn't listed as a bootable device after F12).

My question is - has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried that it stops again and for good this time? I still have a week to send it back (no questions asked) and get a new one, but that'd still be annoying.

thanks,

Martin

maniacalboy, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question