SSD Migration Kit for free

Discussion in 'Storage' started by something back, Dec 12, 2011.

1. something back

something back

something back, Dec 12, 2011
  2. something back

sebzup

The tip you gave me about O&O Software won the day. I got exactly what I wanted since the get go. A complete Acer installation of my OCZ SSD. I tried and tried different methods from different forums. I got close, but no cigar. In the end, it was much easier cloning and/or image creation etc. I did use O&O Migration Kit, and cloned the 13GB Recovery Partition onto my SSD (attached via SATA/USB connector), and then I cloned the 100MB System Partition (bootable). The rest of the space I changed from allocated to a simple volume. I shut down the netbook, swapped out the HDD for he new SSD, and when I turned it on, I pressed [Alt] + F10 to invoke the recovery partition. I then selected factory Defaults, and BINGO!, everything came out just like the netbook when it came out of the box. The hidden recovery partition did not care that the drive was 250GB or 120GB. Nor did it care it was an SSD as opposed to an HDD. And get this, trim was enabled automatically, AHCI was properly turned on in the BIOS, and the correct registry value (0). And to my amazement, the drive was correctly aligned too. I checked this with msinfo32. All the the offsets were correct, divisible by 4096.
    I am ecstatic. After a bit of house cleaning, I got rid of the trialware, bloatware etc, and even install Ubuntu 11.0 with 2 different interfaces, Cinnamon and LXDE. I hate Unity. Thanks again for your help.

sebzup, Feb 13, 2012
Ask a Question