ssh Disconnect - MAC Corrupted

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kpenrose, Feb 6, 2009.

1. kpenrose

kpenrose

I have an Aspire One, running Kubuntu Intrepid, with KDE 4.2 (very, very nice, btw). I have installed the madwifi drivers for the wireless. knetworkmanager works well, detecting wireless networks in range and connecting very reliably.
    The problem comes up when I try to do anything that is ssh based (fuse, fish:/, scp, sftp, freenx). As soon as any substantial data transfer begins, I get a disconnect - MAC corrupted message. The actual connection stays up, but I guess this error is created whenever there is a packet problem on the network. I'm trying to determine if the problem is due to faulty hardware (which a lot of googling suggests it might be) or if the problem lies in the drivers.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is anyone in a position where they can try an scp file copy to see if they also see this error?

If it's hardware, I'll need to find out if it's the router, the other machine or the acer. I can do that through a process of elimination, but I'd like to hear of others experiences first.

Thanks in advance.

Love the aspire one! I'm pushing friends to get one. And with the upcoming arrival of the 10" model, the ones are becoming more affordable. Got mine for $279. With the 120G hard drive. Very sweet little machine. And kubuntu needed very little mod'ing to make a real nice setup.

Thanks again.

kpenrose, Feb 6, 2009
  2. kpenrose

Nrot

I'm not shure the actual cause of this for your case but I have had this. It's bad hardware somewhere. For me it was the NIC in the server and I knew it because it would always disappear, physical, to the machine. I also replaced the router WRT54G with a HP ProCurve Switch and a full computer handeling NAT, Wireless, etc...
    Check hardware, cables and all. If it dose it on multiple machines on one network I'd assume it's your router.
    Hopefully you have the extra hardware to play with it.
    Best of luck
    NRot

Nrot, Mar 11, 2009
Ask a Question