Standby?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by starterz, Aug 16, 2008.

1. starterz

starterz

When my One goes into standby mode, sometimes it does not respond afterwards. Automatically or by pressing the power button, sometimes it goes into stand by and the led on the power button blinks in orange, which is OK - when I press any button it wakes up in a few seconds. When not, it goes into stand by but the led stays green all the time, and the One does not respond. I need to shut it down (by holding the power button) and then boot it up again.

Anyone with the same problem? Any suggestion for a successful standby mode each time, automatically or by pressing the power button?

Thanks and stay well.

starterz, Aug 16, 2008
  2. starterz

midgetdiablo

I think this has happened to me once, but everything seems to be fine now. Have you tried updating to the new bios?

midgetdiablo, Aug 16, 2008
  3. starterz

starterz

No, I havh't. Thanks for the suggestion, I have always been very skeptical with BIOS upgrades. I know things can go very wrong very fast with a BIOS upgrade, so I generally avoid it. Can someone post a link to the new BIOS, and if this standby thing bugs me enough I will try the BIOS upgrade. Stay well.

starterz, Aug 16, 2008
  4. starterz

glitcher

I have the same problem here... After standby, sometime the screen stay black... but the power button is green!
    I'll try the bios also.

glitcher, Aug 19, 2008
  5. starterz

glitcher

Since I update the bios to the latest one.. (3114 I Think!!!) I try the standby and resume a couple time... and the problem didn't comeback... At this point!!! So I think this solve the problem.
    Be careful with the bios update, it seem some people screw their computer...

glitcher, Aug 19, 2008
  6. starterz

starterz

I did not apply the new BIOS, but the problem went away. I have done 100+ standbys since my original post, and all have been successful.

starterz, Sep 10, 2008
  7. starterz

trepamuros

I also suffered the stand-by problem in the same way. Sometimes, the computer freezes on a black screen, power led stays green, fans continue moving and I have to force a shut-down by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

This happens apparently randomly, but more often after suspending a couple or three times in the same XP session. So, I try to not making much use of the suspend option, since for the second or third time onwards, computer seems to has more chances to hang.

Never happened when shutting down, only when suspending.

Using AAO 8Gb with original 3109 BIOS, 512 RAM.

trepamuros, Sep 10, 2008
  8. starterz

aforceone

Hi guys, I get this problem too. Activate standby - black screen - power button is green - nothing happens - have to make a forced poweroff.

How do you upgrade bios? Are there any tools? My bios is 0.3114, but I've heard there are some newer versions around? Any idea where to get 'em?

aforceone, Sep 12, 2008
  9. starterz

gavlinski

I get the same problem on XP SP3, but seems that I have fixed it by reverting the webcam driver to the original from Microsoft. My BIOS is the old one. I think the problem is with the CCD_SUYIN_V.1.0.1.3.zip driver that conflicts with other power management drivers, so don't install it.

gavlinski, Sep 14, 2008
  10. starterz

goapy

Well, gavlinski, it seems that you're on to something. I had my AA1 in a state where the standby problem was reproducible every time. I disabled the webcam in device manager, and now I'm able to recover from standby every time.

It seems that "CCD_SUYIN_V.1.0.1.3" is pre-installed either in the restore image or as part of the setup process after a restore. So, that driver remains present on the system even if the device is uninstalled.

So, now the question is how does one "revert the webcam driver to the original from Microsoft"?

goapy, Sep 16, 2008
  11. starterz

trepamuros

Shouldn't be the SUYIN driver, as my AAO has the LiteOn webcam and driver and it suffers the standby problem.
    Also, my cousin has another AAO, with the SUYIN cam, and it also suffered the problem.

This may be a BIOS-related problem. Both system have the standard 3109 version.

Regards.

trepamuros, Sep 16, 2008
  12. starterz

goapy

Well, I'm now at least slightly convinced that the standby issue is somehow connected to the cam. Perhaps it is a coincidence, I will report back if standby-recover fails again. I'm going to leave the cam disabled entirely for awhile.

A web search reveals other standby problems with the SUYIN, including another Acer model.

goapy, Sep 16, 2008
  13. starterz

gavlinski

With a clean Windows XP install without using the recovery disk/image it does not come with any pre-installed drivers from Acer, so I can keep webcam generic driver from Microsoft and it works fine, without any standby problems.

I think you can force Windows to install the driver you want on the Device Manager. I am using the version 5.1.2600.5512 signed from Microsoft Windows Component Publisher, dated at 01/07/2001.

gavlinski, Sep 17, 2008
  14. starterz

trepamuros

I managed to fix the Standby issue.
    It's not the BIOS (even happens with the new .3304). It's the SUYIN driver.

I removed the SuYin Webcam driver from Control Panel/Add-remove programs, cleaned the registry (used CCleaner), deleted the Webcam in the device manager. Reboot, XP detected the webcam and automatically installed the standard Microsoft driver (webcam is listed as USB Video Device), checked that the webcam is fully functional.

... and never suffered the Standby problem again!!!

So, the tip is: DO NOT INSTALL THE SUYIN DRIVER.

trepamuros, Oct 1, 2008
  15. starterz

IslandBookworm

I tried this exactly and it didn't work. After I rebooted the Suyin driver was back where it was. There was no message from XP about detecting hardware, it was just there exactly as it was before. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I found a much more straightforward way to do this. In the Device Manager, Property, I chose Update Driver, Install from specific location, Don't search, and then picked USB Composite Device. Suyin went away. It remains to be seen whether this solves my hanging-in-standby issue.

IslandBookworm, Oct 5, 2008
  16. starterz

julesTK421

I just changed from the SUYIN driver to the generic windows one. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Thanks!

julesTK421, Oct 5, 2008
  17. starterz

monsieurclavet

Changing the driver to the Windows one solved my standby issues. Thank you.

monsieurclavet, Oct 10, 2008
  18. starterz

ostkamp

Hi, I've got the same problem with my new Acer Aspire One A110X I got two days ago. The system very often did not come back from standby mode when turned on again - green light, fan running, black screen, no reaction.

I followed the hints here and removed the Acer Crystal Eye stuff from System settings - software. Now standby / suspend-to-disk appears to be working ok.

Regards

Guido

ostkamp, Nov 26, 2008
  19. starterz

Left

IslandBookworm's suggestion seems to work fine for me! Thank you very much! :)

My Computer > Hardware > Device Manager > Imaging Devices > Properties > Update Driver > Install from specific location > Don't search > USB Composite Device > HAPPINESS! :)

Left, Dec 4, 2008
  20. starterz

lamthuyduong

I have a AAO with 3305 bios and i have the same stand by issues. So, i am thinking it's not the bios. I will try the web cam driver switch.

lamthuyduong, Dec 21, 2008
Ask a Question