Standby?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by starterz, Aug 16, 2008.

1. starterz

lamthuyduong

Okay. This is what I did. When I went to update the driver for the web cam, I came upon 3 driver options after the "Don't search. I will chose the driver to install." The drivers were: Acer Crystal Eye Webcam Version: 1.0.1.3 [7/08/2008], Acer Crystal Eye Webcam Version: 1.0.1.5 [8/06/2008], and USB Composite Device. The standby problem occurred with the 1.0.1.3 driver, so for now I switched to 1.0.1.5. And so far, the laptop is coming out of standby without problems. But, if the problem comes back, I will switch to the USB Composite Device driver.

lamthuyduong, Dec 21, 2008
  2. starterz

LAZ

Thanks so much for this tip!

My two-week old One worked perfectly out of the box, but started having standby/hibernate troubles a few days ago. It would go into standby properly, but when I tried to wake it up, no matter what keys I pressed, the monitor would stay black, although the power light turned green and it otherwise seemed to be functioning. It would take a power-down-and-reboot to wake up the monitor. Meanwhile, hibernation would hang at the "preparing to hibernate" screen; again, it required holding in the power button to shut down and a complete reboot to revive it.

I set the pc not to standby or hibernate, but I wasn't very happy with that solution.

We tried uninstalling software we had added, thinking that was causing the problem, but to no avail. Then I found this thread. My One came with the Acer Crystal Eye Webcam 1.0.1.3 (SuYin) driver installed. When we uninstalled it, standby worked fine. We couldn't find version 1.0.1.5 anywhere, but the USB Video Device driver was in the list of options presented by the device manager, as described above, so we installed that.

Now standby, hibernate and webcam all seem to be working fine, even after reinstalling the other software.

Is there any reason I should be looking for any other webcam driver? The webcam isn't a priority, but I'm curious as to whether there are performance differences between drivers.

I'm also relieved that this fixed the trouble and we don't have to try updating the BIOS. I have 3305. If everything is working OK, is there any strong benefit to replacing it with 3309 or whatever version will be out next month or the month after?

Anyway, thanks for the working solution and the other great advice on this site. So far, I am loving my One, even after the panic when we accidentally turned the touchpad off and didn't realize that was what happened. (Fn+F7 toggles the touchpad.)

LAZ, Dec 24, 2008
  3. starterz

ccbrianf

The only visible benefit I've found moving from 3305 to 3309 was the increased LCD backlight range.

ccbrianf, Dec 24, 2008
  4. starterz

BitterHalt

Uninstalling SuYin driver fixed my standby issue. Webcam works fine windows original driver. Thank you so mutch helping me to fix this ennoying issue: Sorry my bad english.

BitterHalt, Dec 27, 2008
  5. starterz

ezmobee

Thanks for this. I just got my AAO and it has exceeded my expectations in just about every way but it did have this standby problem. Changing to the USB composite device driver fixed the problem.

ezmobee, Feb 10, 2009
  6. starterz

ladibug

Oh what a wonderful discovery this site has been! :D I was embarrassed in front of my son when I went to show off my new 'toy'.
    I opened the cover (it should have been in standby) and the screen was black but the power light was green. Had to force power off to re-start. We thought maybe it was hibernate, turn hard disks off-something along those lines and I kept changing power settings but it still did not come out of standby. So, now I have updated the driver to the 1.0.1.5 and will see what happens. I feel safe in knowing that if this does not work I will change the driver to the USB one and not have anymore "how do I get this thing to turn back on?" problems. I truly love this little guy and am using it more often then my dell 15.4".

Had it not been for your forum I may not be having all this fun, but who would have thought the Webcam would have caused this problem? Thank you to the genius who figured it out.

ladibug, Feb 16, 2009
  7. starterz

nepbug

nepbug, Feb 17, 2009
  8. starterz

LAZ

Does it have any advantages over the USB Video Device driver?

LAZ, Feb 17, 2009
  9. starterz

nepbug

I don't know, I went straight from 1.0.1.3 to 1.0.2.1. I never ran it with the USB Video Device Driver.

nepbug, Feb 17, 2009
  10. starterz

Snappy

Thanks to all for the great info...
    Same standby problem, fixed by following the great advice of rolling back to the generic webcam driver.
    I have to say the XP Aspire is exceeding all of my expectations (I'm even running a full version of Photoshop CS4 Extended)
    The only critisism is that the fan is slightly noisy & that I can live with!

Cheers

Snappy, May 24, 2009
  11. starterz

zaheer_sagitarius

guys im having a problem related to it...
    since i bought AAO i had "ACER CRYSTAL EYE CAM"... named icon in my computer and it was working fine

but today when i tried to use it i saw it renamed as "USB VIDEO CAM" or something like that i tried to check it if
    it is working but it showed me just a black screen. however it started ... but continued to show black screen.

i tried to figure it out wat to do and then i removed its driver from control panel.
    open e recovery tried to install it from there.
    BUT it showed me "PLEASE PLUG IN YOUR USB WEB CAM"... and now after that i recovered my win to facotry default
    to check if window detects my web cam automatically.

after factory reset im still there where i got stuck i dont see web cam in device manager not in my computer and
    e recovery setup contiues to show me "PLUG IN YOUR USB WEB CAM"... ??? plz help me in this regard im having a headache as i have wasted so much time and still all in vein. :(

zaheer_sagitarius, May 30, 2009
  12. starterz

Firo

Firo, May 30, 2009
  13. starterz

zaheer_sagitarius

zaheer_sagitarius, Jun 1, 2009
Ask a Question