Starcraft

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dvaskebamse, Aug 21, 2008.

1. dvaskebamse

dvaskebamse

I'm running starcraft with wine, but it's a bit slow.

I haven't upgraded RAM yet - would that help? Has anybody with 1,5 gb ram tried to run starcraft?

dvaskebamse, Aug 21, 2008
  2. dvaskebamse

glibdud

As I recall, Starcraft ran pretty slowly on the EeePC as well. Bumping the RAM up might help a little, but I wouldn't expect too much.

glibdud, Aug 21, 2008
  3. dvaskebamse

lightpost

Some games still run abnormally slow in Wine (e.g., Age of Empires II) -- perhaps this is due to incompatibilities between the game and Wine drivers, or perhaps in the way the graphics card interacts with the Atom. You might consider visiting the WineHQ page for StarCraft to read more about this or post your problem.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=51

Right off the bat I'm seeing lots of solutions offered for others reporting similar issues.

lightpost, Aug 21, 2008
  4. dvaskebamse

Wolydarg

Mind sharing how you managed to install starcraft?

In a few days when I have time I plan to borrow a USB Cd drive and spend an hour or two learning how to install stuff from CDs through wine, any help would be greatly appreciated.

and does battle.net work?

Wolydarg, Aug 24, 2008
  5. dvaskebamse

guigz

I played starcraft with and without upgrading ram on my aspire one with windows xp....
    No problem at all...fluid and all is good.
    (I installed it on a 16Go SDHC card) with the SD as HDD trick.

guigz, Aug 25, 2008
  6. dvaskebamse

Wolydarg

Could I trouble you with the steps you took to install starcraft?

Wolydarg, Aug 25, 2008
  7. dvaskebamse

sturmtiger

Hi there,

I Installed StarCraft right now and it's really slow... :cry: Let's see if someone will find a solution...

BTW:

You don't need an optical drive to install it!

It's enough if you got the CD and copy it completely to an USB-Stick or something like that (about 700 MB free space needed)...

In the next step you install it with wine (Unfortunately I wasn't able to get Cedega to run until now :? )... After that you'll install the latest Patch from Blizzard (1.5.2 if I remember right). After the Installation of the patch there comes the message that you need the CD. Ignore it and Cancel. After that you'll copy the INSTALL.EXE from the Stick into the folder where Starcraft is installed ( /.wine/drive_c/programme/StarCraft <- in the German version! Maybe it's different to yours) and rename it to StarCraft.mpq... That's it! Now you can play without an CD :D

And the best is: This is really legal from Blizzard (it's described in the Readme.txt of the Patch)...

That's for the installation...

But I have another problem, too... If I start Starcraft, the Taskbar doesn't disappear... So it's everytime there... Ok, you can minimize it to an edge, but it's still annoying :roll:

Some idea's for that?

Greetings,
    Alex

edit:
    I forgot something... I tried it on the A110L with 1,5 GB RAM and an 8GB SDHC-Card...

sturmtiger, Aug 25, 2008
  8. dvaskebamse

Wolydarg

Finally got starcraft installed

It indeed runs very slow, and I can't seem to be able to get on battle.net...

Any help, please?

Wolydarg, Aug 26, 2008
  9. dvaskebamse

Wolydarg

To get on battle.net:
    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser- ... noarch.rpm
    Install this package, which will install the Microsoft Truetype fonts, including arial, which is apparently what made my b.net work. Also gives you some of the MS fonts (Times New Roman, Tahoma) for writer and such.

The game still runs unbearably slow, even after disabling unit portraits while in-game (which did help a bit, but game is still too slow to play normally), but at least you get to get on battle.net >_>

After looking around on the internets I came across several threads with the same issue.
    Code:
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Starcraft/StarCraft.exe nice -20
    is supposed to make the game run smoother, it seems to work quite well for several people, but no noticeable difference on my system =(

Also,
    Code:
    winecfg
    Audio tab - Change hardware acceleration from full into emulation
    Graphics tab - Disabling all 4 options in the windows settings

These are supposed to help with SC running slow, as well, but my game still runs insanely slow

If anyone can figure out a fix for this, please let everyone here know.

Wolydarg, Aug 28, 2008
  10. dvaskebamse

gallasm

Recently did the Starcraft install via USB, got the program to run in Wine, and yes, it is ridiculously slow running. Just curious if anyone on here has made any headway on this issue...

gallasm, Nov 4, 2008
  11. dvaskebamse

Tamrac

I don't think there's any way in making it work right, short of running it on it's native windows environment. Why not dual boot XP/Linux instead? That way you can have gaming on your XP installation and everything else on Linux. You can even try out Tiny XP, there's a version tweaked just for gaming.

Tamrac, Nov 4, 2008
  12. dvaskebamse

jhedrotten

Whoa. Have you tried dual booting with Linpus Lite and TinyXP, if yes, how? Could you teach me? By the way, I'm a photographer from the Philippines as well. I should've changed my name to Lowepro. Wahahaha.

jhedrotten, Nov 13, 2008
  13. dvaskebamse

Hmongolian

Hey. I found out how to get this game to run at full speed.

This is what you need:
    Cedega. (Wine somehow changed a few things in their script, which causes the slowdown.)
    Starcraft installed on a USB with both files that blizzard ask for on their site to make it NO CD. "StarCraft.mpq" and "BroodWar.mpq" (Search for it on Battle.net)

Now, go to the folder where your Starcraft install is, and open a terminal.

Type "cedega starcraft.exe 800x600" and press enter. Game should now load in all it's glory.

Also, you might need to tweak a few things in the Cedega settings if the game freezes on you after a few minutes of play. Windows 2k. Disable a few useless things and what not, like 3D acceleration and such.

HAVE FUN! :D

Hmongolian, Jan 23, 2009
  14. dvaskebamse

Wolydarg

$25 for a 6month membership kinda sucks =\

Wolydarg, Feb 2, 2009
  15. dvaskebamse

Hmongolian

use the free version. The one that you compile urself and then just load the profiles in it. :D

Hmongolian, Feb 5, 2009
Ask a Question