Statistics package R

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ob_AA1, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ob_AA1

ob_AA1

I tried to install the statistics package R which appears in the science section of the "add/remove software". After having gone through the procedure (I successfully installed other similar packages) it does show up nowhere in the application list (in particular not under the science applications where I would have expected it). Any ideas what the problem is? Many thanks.

ob_AA1, Jan 20, 2009
  2. ob_AA1

markh

Try the 3rd post on this thread, on how to find its command. For an icon, you'll have to either hunt down it's .desktop file, or make one yourself.

markh, Jan 20, 2009
  3. ob_AA1

ob_AA1

Thank you very much markh. I found the pgr , but how do I actually run it? I tried copying the name in the run facility - without much success. Thanks in advance.

ob_AA1, Jan 25, 2009
  4. ob_AA1

markh

To experiment, get a terminal up and type in the command you've found (keeping the correct case). In theory, that should run it. If you get some error, post it here. If it's been placed someone non-standard, you might need to type in its full path (so /dir/dir/command).

markh, Jan 25, 2009
  5. ob_AA1

ob_AA1

Many thanks. I did so. I copied the name found in the list (according to the 3rd thread), i.e. R-2.6.0-3.fc8.1, in the opened terminal.
    This gives:
    [user@localhost ~]$ R-2.6.0-3.fc8.1
    bash: R-2.6.0-3.fc8.1: command not found
    So, maybe it's the missing path, but how do I find the path? Thanks for your patience.

ob_AA1, Jan 27, 2009
  6. ob_AA1

ob_AA1

Re: Statistics package

I did some checks now (and some progress with the commands - though I still do not exactly know what "system" the sudo commands are refering to; is this linux-specific (yes, I am a newbie)?). The command sudo thunar gives acces to the "thunar" file manager under the root account, i.e. allows one to see the the folder /usr/ and not just the files under /home/ as is the case under the "standard" thunar. I find in /usr/share/doc/R-2.6.0 all the doc of the package R, so at least that has been installed. However there is only a shell script called Rscript under /usr/bin/, but no executable. Any idea where the executable could be? Many thanks for any help.

ob_AA1, Jan 28, 2009
  7. ob_AA1

markh

R-2.6.0-3.fc8.1 is the name of the package you downloaded, which contained various things, such as the doc files you found, and an executable command. It is not iteself the command you need. Commands are found in various directories called "bin" or a variation on it. Programs you install yourself usually place a command in /usr/bin. Any file listed in /usr/bin (or any of the other bin locations) should execute if you type it into the terminal. So have a go at Rscript - is that what you found using the first command in that link?

If you have a look at the properties of the files in /usr/bin, and look at the permissions section, you'll see a tick box for whether it is executable. Hopefully Rscript has that ticked. Unlike windows, linux doesn't necessarily use extensions to filenames like .doc or .exe, although it does use them for files which need some level of compatability with windows etc.

sudo is a command that tells the system to execute the following command as if you were the "root" user. Under normal use, you are a standard user - actually called "user" in the standard setup. Files, and whole areas of the system, have different ownerships (you'll have seen that in the permissions section of the file, if you did that). The important system stuff is all owned by "root". It's possible for files to be owned by "root", but with permission for "user" to do various things - so read only, read & write, etc.

markh, Jan 28, 2009
  8. ob_AA1

meng

Try opening a terminal and typing:
    R

meng, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question