step-by-step instructions to replace linpus desktop ?????

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuerst, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

so far no recommandation to get rid of linpus desktop with one similar to windows? would kde be an alternative

could anyone give me a step-by-step instruction, please?
    thanks and cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 28, 2008
  2. Fuerst

Andysan

Christian,

Firstly, you state that you want to get rid of Linpus and replace it with kde - well Linpus is an operating system and kde a desktop environment.

With all due respect, if you don't yet understand this then i would consider reading up on the fundamentals of Linux before you replace the OS, else you'll likely find yourself in all sorts of trouble.

But if you want to press ahead then your best options at the moment are Ubuntu, Mandriva or the XFCE switch for Linpus that you can read more about on this forum.

Andysan, Sep 28, 2008
  3. Fuerst

Fuerst

Hi Andysan, you obviously misunderstood: No, I mean the linpus/Acer-specific desktop and wonder whether one can replace it relatively easy with another one that looks and works more like the much mor flexible one on Windows.

I am beginning to understand more of linux, but still think the aspire One desktop isn't good at all.

But it seems that linux fans feel insulted as soon as one mentions such things :D :D :D

cheers

Fuerst, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Fuerst

donec

Install Onelinux and you should find everything working except the logon sounds and other system sounds but music sounds will work. Also the suspend function won't work but hibernate will. Onelinux is aq version of Ubuntu that has been changed to work specifically with the AA1 and has much more in common w2ith Windows than Linpus. You can get Onelinux from onelinux.org.

donec, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Fuerst

rjm

rjm, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question