Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

Nemix

Nice list, my adds:

Unistall McAfee if came pre-installled and grab a lighter Antivirus
    Turn off User Fast Switching for Single User
    Upgrade to 7200rpm Hard Drive
    Download and Install CCleaner
    Download install TweakUI Powertoy for XP
    Enable ClearType through website or install
    Change TouchPad Sample to 200 and Input Buffer Length to 300 (requires restart)
    Disable QoS Packet Scheduler for both Wired and Wireless Connections
    Set Power Save Mode to Normal/Off for Atheros Wireless Adapter (will loose 5/10 minutes of battery life)

Not Recommended:

Don't disable Pagefile keep it small if system has more than 1GB ram, make maximum and minimum the same size
    Don't turn off System Restore in case anything messes up F5 during boot

Other notes:

Drivers from Intel for VGA/Chipset are the same as the ones from Acer for XP, I'd recommend using the Acer ones for now until Intel releases newer ones, Acer drivers are they are probably more optimized for the Aspire One

Nemix, Sep 19, 2008
  2. techie

Daijoubu

They're the exact same files, byte-per-byte

No customisations on Acer's part

Daijoubu, Sep 19, 2008
  3. techie

Nemix

LOL... :lol:

Hence just use the one's from Acer for now. Most people use the official Acer drivers anyhow, guess they and I have mistaken Acer for Asus. :lol:

Nemix, Sep 20, 2008
  4. techie

Jumbocactuar

Hi, i made all optimization i read on this thread to improve my xp installation, now it goes well but i have an issue on startup. Just after the Windows boot screen and when all applications are already loaded, the AA1 freezes for some seconds, for 2 or 3 times, then it runs normally...what's the problem? Thank you

Jumbocactuar, Sep 22, 2008
  5. techie

Tamrac

It's windows writing some stuff on the last part of the startup sequence, you can minimize this upgrading to 1.5gb RAM. ;)

Tamrac, Sep 22, 2008
  6. techie

mertol

Hi All;

I got an Aspire One with the faster SSD. I installed a full windows XP and used the tweaks from this forum. I ok with the performance but there are some stalls still. Here are my questions and I will be happy if someone can help me answer them .

1) When I try to set page file on SD card, XP always puts 1,5 GB page file on C drive too. Is this normal ?

2) Does Vista perform better on SSD ? I got 1,5 GB Ram. Can I install vista on Fat32 ?

3) Is there a way to force XP use more agressive write caching [I know EWF, but it's not flexible for the way I use the computer] ?

4) What is the best virus protection software I can use ? I got Norton license...

mertol, Sep 23, 2008
  7. techie

mertol

Did anyone tried to change

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System \CurrentControlSet \Control \Session Manager \Memory Management]IoPageLockLimit

to a large value in a system with a lot of memory. [preferably something like 128 mb's, I think the value is entered in bytes ]

I dont have the machine in my hands right now, so I cant try it. If someone tries before I do, can you post some feedback.

Mertol

mertol, Sep 23, 2008
  8. techie

mertol

I figured out that some people think that the value is not in bytes...

64M: 1000;
    128M: 4000;
    256M: 10000;
    512M or more: 40000

Mertol

mertol, Sep 23, 2008
  9. techie

Nemix

Are you using XP that came pre-installed with AAO?

Nemix, Sep 23, 2008
  10. techie

Nemix

2) NTFS recommended for both Vista and XP.

4) Avira or NOD32. Norton = resource hog.

Nemix, Sep 23, 2008
  11. techie

MikeParkes

But not with XP on a SSD card - see earlier postings in this thread

MikeParkes, Sep 23, 2008
  12. techie

Tamrac

Tamrac, Sep 25, 2008
  13. techie

mertol

thanks for the great answer. I am using large cache option and tried the registry hack but I am not sure if it was effective as the system still stalls when auto update is running. Anyway the computer is very fast if the SSD is not under heavy write. It's sometimes faster than my dual core notebook. (openning ms office and some presentations are faster)

I hope Acer comes up with a SSD driver.

Mertol

mertol, Sep 25, 2008
  14. techie

Tamrac

It's the physical limitation of the SSD used on our AAO. Not a driver issue. Unless ACER makes a program that
    mimics page writes to RAM, like the solutions posted on the other threads... but make it reliable and simple to install. Then maybe that will be the total solution. But I doubt it. We must all remember that this tiny machine has shown that it performs very very well under it's intended purpose, pushed more than that then it's normal that it cannot keep up.

Tamrac, Sep 25, 2008
  15. techie

Kite

actually, i have managed to put the pagefile on the sd(hc) card

Kite, Sep 25, 2008
  16. techie

Tamrac

Can you share with us how you did it? Try to check if it's really there... Since you CAN set it to the SDHC on the performance tab, but still windows will put the actual page file on the fixed SSD.

Tamrac, Sep 26, 2008
  17. techie

trepamuros

How to do those things?
    Are they effective?

trepamuros, Sep 26, 2008
  18. techie

ZouZouRas

These are the steps that i used to install XP on my A110L... The machine is really fast now... I hope that it will help some people...

1) Installed XP profesional SP2 on FAT32...
    2) Installed ACER drivers...
    3) Moved my user profile from the SSD to the SD...

ProfileImagePath registry value

The ProfileList registry key contains some sub-keys, which are nothing but the list of User Account Security Identifiers (SID). Each of the SID represents an Account. The key is located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ ProfileList

Identify the SID for your User account, and change the Profile path

* To know the SID for your user account, you may use the script sidlist.vbs
    * Download the script and run it. (The User Account names and SIDs will be listed in a log file, and opened automatically.)
    * Note down the SID for your account.
    * Then, in the Registry Editor, select the correct SID that belongs to your user account.
    * In the right-pane, double-click the ProfileImagePath value and change the profile path. ( The ProfileImagePath stores the full path of the User account home folder. )

Example

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\OldUsername

becomes the following:

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\NewUsername

Close Registry Editor, and restart Windows. See if you're able to logon to that user profile successfully. Additionally, to verify if the path has been changed successfully, type SET in the Command Prompt. In case you find any abnormal behavior when running an application, you may undo the above procedure.

4) I created a permanent ram disk drive using the program i attached and i moved there the TEMP and TMP folder...
    5) I disabled the swapfile and any service that is not essential... Also i set prefech to mode 2 (disabled on boot)...
    6) I changed firefox cache folder to the ram drive...

With these steps my acer is going real fast... I am able to do anything that i did in my desktop computer... Flash videos play real smooth and every application starts in seconds... Also with many programs installed (office 2003, photoshop, etc) i still have 5,5gb free on the ssd and 6gb free on the sd...

Specifications of my Acer: 1,5 gb RAM, 8gb SD...

ZouZouRas, Sep 27, 2008
  19. techie

poro

Hi..
    got a BIG problem her in dark finland right now ... i have been installing XP on my ONE and it worked great , then i wanted to make a Nlite and so i did , but i to god damm all away LOL but it also worked , then i downloaded the english (Unoficel) xp for ONE and it worked like hell ... so i wanted to go back to a full XP install but now after traying 100 times i cant make it boot windows from the HD ????? i can install XP and so on and the bios okay hmm. its saying ist missing a dll file so i have also tray to download it and put it in the system folder ....

ps. its a danish xp im putting (my 2. langue)

pps. sorry my english :idea:

poro, Sep 28, 2008
  20. techie

poro

Jippii.....

i find out what i did wrog my self . here is the how

go to this page and download the hal.dll file http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/index-h.shtml

1.download
    2.unpack
    3.copy the hal.dll to the Windows system folder
    4.restart

poro, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question