Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

Tamrac

I know that this is a sponsored videoclip, but it sounds like it "could" be true....

Tamrac, Oct 12, 2008
  2. techie

simbeb

OK Guys you've convinced me to try! I am defragging right now and I'll get back to you with the results.
    My initial horrifying booting time was 3min40s max. I decreased it to 2min05s thanks to kite's advice on tweaking prefetch. Let's see what we'll get after defrag. See ya later...

simbeb, Oct 12, 2008
  3. techie

ddlooping

So, simbeb, what are the results? :)

ddlooping, Oct 12, 2008
  4. techie

simbeb

Er... Well the C; drive was horribly fragmented even though the only things on it are Windows, AVG and the firewall. It took about 1h30min to defrag, but did not reduce my booting time by a single second. Anyway, I guess it did not do it any harm either. I have timed the booting time on my main PC, and it is 1min40s, so I guess I am not doing so bad with 2min5s on a ssd.
    What I'll try to do next is to move my user profile to the sdhc...

simbeb, Oct 13, 2008
  5. techie

ddlooping

Oh well, worth a try I guess. :?

My guess would be AVG, the firewall and wifi are the reasons your boot time is fairly long.

I do not use an anti-virus (I have implemented EWF) and only the Windows firewall.
    In my case having wifi on adds about 15 to 20 seconds to my boot time.

ddlooping, Oct 13, 2008
  6. techie

ray

Hello,
    I installed XP Pro SP2 onto the acer aspire one 8gb, all works fine but I could not install CardRdr_Jmicron_v.1.00.16.01 or CCD_LiteOn_v.5.8.33.1. When I go into Device Manager the Base System Device driver can not be found anywhere (inc. the net). If I insert a SDHC card is tries to find these drivers but has no luck. So in all it works okay but it can not read SD cards. Any advice appreciated.
    Ray

ray, Oct 23, 2008
  7. techie

dale

with CardRdr driver- i guess you installed first the chipset driver before the cardreadrer, i encountered this with my first installation of xp (under fat32). after some contemplating of what I did installing xp under NTFS, i remembered i installed first the cardrdr driver before chipset. i guess this is because the chipset will install all the configuration files needed for hardwares physically present on the motherboard. and Jmicron config file is not in the list. try installing first the cardrdr before chipset..

with CCD_LiteOn- use the other driver (SUYIN). you don't need to install both of them. its just the matter of what brand of CAM is installed in your AAO...

Hope this helps...

dale, Oct 24, 2008
  8. techie

Daijoubu

The harm is unnecessary writes/wear on the SSD, so don't defrag :)

Daijoubu, Oct 24, 2008
  9. techie

Guest Guest

@ Simbeb
    Did you ever manage to put the tinyxp image on your AAO?..I remember it was a problem for you...everyone who did is still happy with the fast XP experience..Are you a Windows, Linux or OS X oriented? It sounds like you didn't finetuned your Windows XP sp3 to much...on the AAO that is a crucial step....the AAO is not a power laptop but "just" a Netbook, which happen to be possible to run smoothly with XP. Defraging the SSD is no problem, the SSD lives longer than you'll think. The speed of the ssd is its real problem though.

Guest, Oct 26, 2008
  10. techie

simbeb

I did manage to install Tiny XP on my AAO thank you Ron. Silly me hadn't realized I needed to use the tab key to go from one item to another on Ghost's screen. 7min29s to install XP.
    I am a Windows XP user who'd rather use Linux if I had the time to learn. So to balance that, I use as many free and open source programs as I can to replace stuff from Microsoft and other proprietary software companies.
    I did fine tune your TinyXP to my needs by following some of the tips on this forum. I have now a boot time of 53 sec., shutting down time of 44 sec. The ssd only has Windows, Firewall (Kerio) and antivirus (BitDefender v10). All of my programs are portable apps, including the games and are all placed on a SDHC class 6. I believe that XP now runs better for basic tasks on the AAO than it does on my 2ghz dual core laptop with its 2gb of RAM!
    I have made a Ghost image of my completed and tuned install and a self-extracting zip of the contents of my SD card. So nothing can ever go wrong again.
    I am in the middle of writing a guide that sums up everything from this thread that I have implemented to get to this result.

Again Ron, respect to you and every one else on this thread.

simbeb, Oct 31, 2008
  11. techie

Guest Guest

@Simbeb.

Go0d to hear you did the job. However your boot and shutdown times sound high to me (I achieve better times with even TinyVista not completely tuned yet :roll:). Most probably due to extra installs. I have for firewall/antivrus/Antispam, Kingston Internet Security installed (180 days free trial!!!). It is light on the resources and very very good package. Maybe you should try this one as well one day and see what your boot/shut down times do. Did you kept your registry, startup files etc cleaned as well after instaal and uninstalls.

BTW linux isn't that hard to learn anymore these days....the package managers are even easier than windows...you search for what you need to do and the package manager come with the right software....tick the boxes and voila it will go by itself.

gr. Ron

Guest, Oct 31, 2008
  12. techie

bravobob

I have just been introduced to an Acer Aspire One, and so I gather, that XP Pro [lets call it FULL version ;-)], wont work on it [I was attempting to install it via a USB CD ROM drive [after enabling that boot device in the BIOS], only to encounter a BSOD. The error message was "Stop 0X0000007B, 0XF8AA2524, 0X00000034, 0X00000000,0X00000000". From what I found that is tied to Booting problem, but i thought that perhaps there might be something else and I guess it can be attributed to the full version versus a lite version of XP? Am I correct?

bravo out

bravobob, Nov 2, 2008
  13. techie

Guest Guest

Bravobob,

My experience was the direct opposite: I got exactly the same error message when I tried to install an NLite version of XP Pro (via a USB DVD drive). I assumed I'd made some mistake when I prepared the Lite version, so I tried again, using the full Windows CD. This time the installation went - and is still going, as I type this - smoothly.

Obviously, though, I'm installing an awful lot of Windows stuff that I don't need and will never use. Can anyone point me to a recommended NLite configuration for XP Pro? Assuming, that is, that I can actually install one, once I've loaded the full version.

Edited to add:

The install is now done, though I haven't yet updated the Acer drivers and installed the latest Windows updates, so I'm still on SP1. In case anyone's interested, the C drive stats are: Used: 1.8 GB, Free: 5.68 GB. One of the online guides I looked at recommended disabling the Virtual Memory page file; doing that makes the stats Used: 1.08 GB, Free: 6.4 GB. From the quick play I've had so far, speed seems more than acceptable. Perhaps I don't need to bother with a Lite version.

Bert

Guest, Nov 2, 2008
  14. techie

simbeb

Ron: my main PC (a desktop replacement laptop) takes 1mn37s to start up (without any tweaks). When I first installed XP on the AAO, it took no less than 3mn40s to start up! I managed to get it down to 53s by applying numerous tips from this thread. I will not change my antivirus & firewall as they are great and it took me a lot of trial of error to find good ones that were free, lightweight (the firewall has finished startup before the desktop appears!) and compatible with each other. But if you have any tips I might have missed you can suggest, you are welcome!

simbeb, Nov 5, 2008
  15. techie

gamiotis

i just install the windws xp in my acer one i was having the linux linpus i install all the drivers from acer but i have big problem with my wirelles i can find any network and my led when i turn it one is one time open one time closed..plz help my what i must do??
    thanks

gamiotis, Nov 5, 2008
  16. techie

MikeParkes

Mine has XP Pro on it, although installed via a USB stick.

MikeParkes, Nov 5, 2008
  17. techie

Yaniel

i finally have mine setup exactly how i want it and i cant be happier

a110-1698
    16gb ssd
    1gb ram
    tinyxp (i think it was an image by ron, thank you, its great.)
    ewf (with batch files to execute quickly when i make changes)
    horm
    2fingerscroll
    firefox3 with foxmarks
    vlc media player
    office 2007 (opens word and one note faster than my 2.6 dual core, 3gb ram, raid0, desktop)
    16gb class6 sdhc in the expansion lot being read as a local drive
    4gb pagefile on the sdhc (debating removing it since it dont notice any difference really)
    temp and tmp files on sdhc card
    3305 bios
    7.6.1.160 wifi drivers
    shutdown in 8.5 seconds
    boot up in ~16
    restart in 28 seconds

i love it, no mini freezes, no lag, NOTHING, i cant believe it runs this well. thanks to everyone that has posted tips and tutorials!

Yaniel, Nov 6, 2008
  18. techie

publicity

Hello all!

I've got a question, if anyone can help that would be great.

At the moment I've got a copy of Ron's Tinyxp rev02 image and the new Rev09. I do not know which one to install. The good thing about the rev02 image is everything is already configured to the AAO, but the rev09 will have to be done manually, and I do not know which options would be best for the AAO. My question is can anyone tell me which REV version to install? If I have to install the rev09, can someone give me some advice to configure the AAO to its best abilities. Or if I install Ron's rev02 image, can I update to rev09?

Cheers! ;)

btw does the rev02 come with service pack 3?

publicity, Nov 6, 2008
  19. techie

Yaniel

i might be completely wrong but i think rons image is based on rev09 bc i'm using rons image and it has sp3 and when i check in system it says TinyXP Rev09[2] so i think its rons second revision of eXperience's rev09.

Yaniel, Nov 6, 2008
  20. techie

publicity

Ok, well if that is true, that would be GREAT! I hope Ron can clarify that.

I just read in his notes that:

The diskimage contains:
    - a clean install of TinyXP rev 02

It does not mention the SP3 or REV09 anywhere....strange :roll:
    maybe you have a different version of Ron's image?

This is what I got: Ghost Disk Image TinyXP v02 for Acer Aspire One 100A from http://aspireonesoftware.wordpress.com

Cheers! :D

publicity, Nov 6, 2008
Ask a Question