Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

Yaniel

thats exactly what i have also.

Yaniel, Nov 6, 2008
  2. techie

electronrancher

For my XP wifi, I needed to install the Wifi software as well as drivers. Driver only did not work, and I got a symptom similar to yours - switching the wifi slider gave me one LED blink but the card never turned on.

Typically, I don't install the extra crap that driver disks provide, but for this one I had to and then it all worked fine. The wifi software is not too intrusive, so I don't mind it.

electronrancher, Nov 7, 2008
  3. techie

publicity

Thanks for the tip, I think mine is working better. It didn't drop apart for just one time-out line during the ping process. :? Fingers crossed!

Ps: I'm getting used to the software, it has many options (e.g. power save) and the ability to make different profiles is great!

publicity, Nov 9, 2008
  4. techie

Guest Guest

The image is based on TinyXP rev09 by ExperienCe what I used as basis (rev 02 was a typo :mrgreen: most probably because at the same time I was working with TinyVista rev 2 :p )
    This TinyXP is a "ripped/tweaked install of Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

gr. Ron

Guest, Nov 10, 2008
  5. techie

ahhui123

After i hit the default in unebootin, i got an error saying cant find the image file : ubninit..... the ubninit file inside my pendrive is 0 kb..?

ahhui123, Nov 12, 2008
  6. techie

Guest Guest

Choose FreeDos....and you need to be connected to Internet.....it always get the needed files from internet, it is not in unebootin integrated.

Guest, Nov 12, 2008
  7. techie

Pachanka

thx Ron for ur ghost image, works very well on my AAO
    but you didn't include french language :/

Pachanka, Nov 14, 2008
  8. techie

Guest Guest

You need the French keyboard?....go to blog, will put 2 files there takes 2 minutes max. to get your french keyboard

Guest, Nov 14, 2008
  9. techie

CathiM

I just disabled my D2D in the bios as you recommended to try and help my Acer Aspire One running XP from freezing for no particular reason, now it comes on (the power light is green) but nothing happens on the screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CathiM, Nov 14, 2008
  10. techie

Yaniel

sounds like the black screen of death. do a search on this forum for info on it and how to reflash the bios, that normally fixes it.

Yaniel, Nov 14, 2008
  11. techie

Guest Guest

Guest, Nov 15, 2008
  12. techie

JimmiG

Here's what I've done so far with XP on my SSD AAO:

-Installed from a custom ISO based on TinyXP Rev09 (RAM usage <70MB, until after having installed the bloated Acer drivers and helper software :oops:)
    -Used FAT32
    -Temp variables, temporary internet files and paging file moved/pointed to SD card (might not improve performance but should reduce wear on the built-in SSD)
    -Disabled BootOptimize (silent defrag of the drive every 3 days=bad idea on SSD's)

I'm a bit confused about write caching since some claim disabling it improves performance. Enabled or disabled?

Also, when I go to the Policies tab for my SD cards, they are always at "Optimize for quick removal". When I set them to Optimize for Performance, the setting automatically reverts to Quick Removal after a system reboot. Any way to make the setting stick and does it really improve performance?

JimmiG, Nov 15, 2008
  13. techie

Sniper257

Are you sure your page file is actually on the SD? I tried to set it and found out that it was still making the pagefile.sys on the SSD and nothing on the SD, unless you used the Hitachi filter, which I haven't been able to get working.

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  14. techie

JimmiG

Yeah, you're right, the dialog box sais the file is moved to d:, but the actual file is still on C:
    Any way to trick the system into thinking the SD readers are fixed drives? What's the Hitachi filter driver and has anyone got it to work?

A summary of this thread would be nice- you try a tweak only to read five pages later that it doesn't work.. :)

Still my system works pretty well now. Boots up in 29 seconds followed by a short "hickup" before it becomes active. Freezes only really occur if I'm installing software and try to run several programs at the same time.

I think I'm going to image my current install and try Ron's tweaked version to see if it's even better.

JimmiG, Nov 15, 2008
  15. techie

Sniper257

Haha, I'm going to try again to get the driver to work on Windows 7. I'll find the link and edit this with it in a sec.
    EDIT:
    This is the thread I found it on, I'll give it a shot in a little bit, feel free to try and tell me how after :p
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5713

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  16. techie

JimmiG

Well simply trying to replace the current driver with it only caused Windows to show a message sayng the driver is not designed for the hardware. Also there are many identical entries for the SD card readers in the device manager for some reason.

Probably not a huge deal - once you run out of RAM, performance goes to heck whether you're paging to a slow SSD, superfast SSD or a mechanical harddrive. The SSD in the AAO does implement wear leveling so you it won't be thrashing the same cells over and over again even if you're paging to disk alot.

JimmiG, Nov 15, 2008
  17. techie

Sniper257

That's exactly what happened to me.

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  18. techie

CathiM

Thanks Yaniel and Ron I used the link and it opened my eyes to a bigger problem this sounds too complicated for me, glad it's only been less than 90 days time for a refund though I love the size and potential of the unit otherwise. My only concern is the stuff I have on the HHD can't be removed before I take it back, not a big deal but would be nice to have a clean slate so's to speak, are there any options? Mine is the one with the black screen of death!

CathiM, Nov 15, 2008
  19. techie

CathiM

Oops I meant HDD.

CathiM, Nov 15, 2008
  20. techie

goofball

have you tried reviving it with the bios recovery procedure posted on macles blog?

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer ... overy.html

goofball, Nov 15, 2008
Ask a Question