Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

JimmiG

What about this tweak?
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... hp?t=45192

This will restore an old "bug" that causes the I/O interface to ignore requests to flush the file buffer. However, according to this document, it can also cure problems such as:
    This is under Terminal Server, but some say it helps when using the OCZ Core solid state drive under XP, so I thought it might help on the Intel SSD in the AAO as well. The drawback is that if you loose power at just the wrong moment, the last written data might get corrupted or not written at all. So if you're the type of person who keeps using your AAO until the battery dies completely, don't try this tweak.

JimmiG, Nov 16, 2008
  2. techie

matthew2456

Having problems installing messenger on rons xp, it installs the live installer but then fails when installing messenger.

any ideas??

thanks

matthew2456, Nov 16, 2008
  3. techie

Guest Guest

@Matthew...I heard few people with the same problems....and read 2 posts with how to solve it easily .....I looked for the post but couldn't find it. But it is possible for sur.....try enabling the messenger services.

My Computer --> Right mouse click --> Services -->(in the list look for) Messenger -->double click "messenger" opens a window --> change startup Type from Disabled to Automatic. Reboot system and try to install again.

Leave a message if it worked for you or not so you can help others as well.

I use Digsby...in there I use ICQ and 5 msn accounts at the same time! (Other messengers also possible)

Guest, Nov 16, 2008
  4. techie

CathiM

Thanks to goofball, I checked out the link but concerned about the "may void your warranty" thing, will return it for now as it's been only a few months and I still have a warranty. I really love this unit otherwise and this forum will be my lifeline once I get running again.

CathiM, Nov 17, 2008
  5. techie

matthew2456

Thanks Ron, I didnt try that but got it working anyway by downloading a standalone install for messenger, it was the windows live install messing up.

Having problems now selecting a custom wallpaper, i can select it from the properties -> desktop -> browse, but it never actually changes, also i cannot just right click a jpeg and choose set as wallpaper, also tried putting the jpegs in windows folder, and themes wallpapers (where bliss.jpg lives)

Thanks

matthew2456, Nov 17, 2008
  6. techie

Frojd

Aha, this is apparently the same as "enable advanced performance" for a disk device in windows Vista. I guess that is one of the main reasons to why my vista seems to run fairly well? Interesting find!

Frojd, Nov 17, 2008
  7. techie

Guest Guest

@mathew..Themes are disabled in this version....when you want to change it....call a wallpaper you like "bliss.jpg".....search the same named file on your system and overwrite it with your name bliss.jpg wallpaper. :p

Guest, Nov 17, 2008
  8. techie

ramon2000

I have been using this tweak for almost two weeks (I don't remember how I discovered it), and since then I have almost no delays in access to SSD disk, and (I think :) ) I have not lost any piece of information.

For your information, I also have the following tweaks:
    - 1,5 Gb of memory
    - FAT32
    - Tmp directory to ram disk
    - Firefox and internet explorer cache to ram disk
    - Disable D2D in Bios
    - Turn off Paging
    - Turn off System Restore
    - Prefetch set to "only startup"
    - Memory management set to "system cache" (I don't know why, but this tweak also gave me a lot of improvement in decreasing delays)
    - Probably some other tweak that I miss.

You only have to apply it once ( c:\dskcache +p c: ), and next time you reboot the setting is still there.
    You can also easily disable it ( c:\dskcache -p c: ).

Regards

ramon2000, Nov 18, 2008
  9. techie

Pachanka

nope, for french keyboard (azerty) i used the language bar.
    I talked about french menus

Pachanka, Nov 18, 2008
  10. techie

Yaniel

are any of you using EWF and Outlook connected to an exchange server? after every reboot it tells me i have an old copy of my offline folder file (.ost). then it asks me to delete it. i do so and it works fine the next time i open it, but after a reboot it asks me to repeat the process again. i'm guessing its because it doesnt update the new ost file since ewf is on. anyone have a solution for this?

Yaniel, Nov 18, 2008
  11. techie

Tamrac

Commit writes before you shutting down.

Tamrac, Nov 18, 2008
  12. techie

Yaniel

i was hoping there was another solution since commit can sometimes take as long as 10 minutes.

Yaniel, Nov 19, 2008
  13. techie

p.bjorklund

Can anyone write a small guide to using the dskcache? And more reports of it's performance boosts would also be nice :)

p.bjorklund, Nov 19, 2008
  14. techie

ramon2000

To use it, you only have to
    - download it (you can find a link to it (Windows2000_KB811392_x86_ENU.EXE) in http://www.asksomeone.net/forums/index. ... topic=7864)
    - run the file to decompress dskcache.exe
    - open a command prompt
    - Type "dskcache +p c:" + Enter

And the tweak is applied. It remains even after rebooting or shutting down the system.

If afterwards you want to disable it, you only need to:
    - open a command prompt
    - Type "dskcache -p c:" + Enter

About performance boost, I cannot give you any value apart that it works for me. I would recommend you try by yourself, since it only takes few minutes.

Regards,

ramon2000, Nov 19, 2008
  15. techie

Pachanka

not the french keyboard (i found it with the language bar), the french interface of windows :)

Pachanka, Nov 24, 2008
  16. techie

Yaniel

anyone else had trouble installing .net framework 2.0 on ron's tinyxp image? i keep getting error 0x80131702.

Yaniel, Nov 24, 2008
  17. techie

DOCp

i opened up command prompt and typed in the command but came back with this: 'dskcache' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

any ideas?

DOCp, Nov 24, 2008
  18. techie

emir

You must put the dskcache.exe file into system32 folder before you run the parameter.. Hope this help..

emir, Nov 26, 2008
  19. techie

DOCp

great, that did it. thanks for your help!

DOCp, Nov 26, 2008
  20. techie

yatfu

First of all, thank you for this XP version, it really rocks! Now about themes, I did manage to install the Microsoft Zune theme and now I can change wallpapers all I want. Would this slow down the system in any way?

yatfu, Nov 28, 2008
Ask a Question