Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

Guest Guest

@Yatfu

Just test it :D ..... It all depends on what's installed and running on your AA!....if and when you have enough RAM I supose it won't slow you down a lot.....I'm testing another XP install (also slimmed down) with a vista theme (takes more from resources than a "normal" theme) and it doesn't slow the system down in a way it is annoying. Just a little, So I'm sure you can do well with your install of the theme.

Guest, Nov 30, 2008
  2. techie

simbeb

I wanted to optimize booting time on your version of Tiny XP, Ron, by installing and running Bootvis. But you seem to have removed the task scheduler program which is badly needed for that app to run. Any way that can be re-installed somehow? same for system restore which I'd like functioning and Windows update...

simbeb, Dec 1, 2008
  3. techie

krivik

Hi!
    Thanks everybody for tips, red almost all this thread and did the following with my AAO 110:

disable d2d
    installed xp sp3 from usb flash, fat32
    upgraded to 1.5GB ram
    disabled prefetch
    disabled indexing
    disabled disk write cache
    disabled page file

Works fine - boot time 50 sek(from the moment when i press the power-on button), but still having infrequently a little freezes, anyone have the same problem here? Maybe somone could suggest something?

EDITED: Solved with FBWF :) now my acer works very fast.

krivik, Dec 1, 2008
  4. techie

matthew2456

Ron, with your windows i dont seem to get any notification bubbles in the bottom right, e.g when battery is getting low.

Anyway to turn this on??

Thanks

Matthew

matthew2456, Dec 1, 2008
  5. techie

Guest Guest

@Matthew

To avoid hijacking this post for 1 specific XP installement I posted the solution (post 233) on the blog (see my signature).

gr. Ron

Guest, Dec 2, 2008
  6. techie

sookimn

hi i'm new here, i currently using a a110 model, but i having a problem with it's:
    -after i install a 4GB SD card, when restart the PC always show need to install a driver for Base System device. (every Restart)
    - i set before the EWF thing on my a110, it's running fast. problem is i download a driver or file from the internet, than i restart the A110 after than all will be missing.

any body can give me a advise?

Thanks

sookimn, Dec 3, 2008
  7. techie

lohtse

I have the same problem but cant find the post you refer too..

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 3, 2008
  8. techie

Guest Guest

It's awaiting moderation :) Text from the blog:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    233 | Ron[nl]

December 2nd, 2008 at 6:56 pm
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

@Matthew…
    You asked on the forum if its possible to enable the Balloon Tips in this TinyXP version….YES IT IS.
    I wrote a smale file to edit your registry for it (I didnt test it though because I dont use this image at the time).
    1) Download file:...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest, Dec 3, 2008
  9. techie

lohtse

ooooooooooooooooooooh wheres the file would like to use it to please.....

lohtse, Dec 4, 2008
  10. techie

afraideh

I just bought a AAO 120 GB, 512 Mb, Linux Linpus version. I want to get rid of linux and run Windows. Can anybody help me from the beginning? :roll: (ive been reading all the posts but am not clear on certain things. like most of them talk about SSD, but i have HDD)
    plus is it advisable to go for tinyxp? i mean, what is it?
    appreciate anyones help!

And, my AAO just cant connect to the ADSL LAN in my room (althoug, it runs perfectly at work). its just 'acquiring network address'. help!

afraideh, Dec 4, 2008
  11. techie

simbeb

Hi Ron,

Still can't see your answer on that blog. If you've responded to me in it, can you do that again (about task scheduler and system restore missing)...

Cheers.

simbeb, Dec 5, 2008
  12. techie

Guest Guest

Simbeb....working on it...I try to get in touch with the moderator....I need some moderation possibilities there too :D

Guest, Dec 5, 2008
  13. techie

lohtse

Well hope you get it ...and thanks for your hard work.

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 5, 2008
  14. techie

Guest Guest

Ok because I'm not 100% sure this reg file will do the trick and maybe need some adjustments before I'm out of the running for a short
    while from comming wednesday I put the complete post here. Please leave a message on the blog if it worked or not.

Thnx Ron

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    233 | Ron[nl]

December 2nd, 2008 at 6:56 pm
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

@Matthew…
    You asked on the forum if its possible to enable the Balloon Tips in this TinyXP version….YES IT IS.
    I wrote a smale file to edit your registry for it (I didnt test it though because I dont use this image at the time).
    1) Download file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YWLKXVN2
    2) Double click the file, OK to change registry
    3) Reboot
    4) Voila!
    Pls left message if this reg file did the job so I dont have to test it myself anymore.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest, Dec 5, 2008
  15. techie

lohtse

Owe you a pint mate....WORKED a treat..

thank you.

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 5, 2008
  16. techie

scottyd

So would doing any of this stuff increase performance for the HDD version as well?

scottyd, Dec 11, 2008
  17. techie

Nemix

Yes.

*Might I add, changing the CPU L2 cache through regedit helps Windows performance a lot. Atoms have 512KB L2 Cache, Windows XP does not recognize it by default.* :lol:

Nemix, Dec 18, 2008
  18. techie

lohtse

Try using WinXP Manager (yamisoft) has loads of hacks and performance enhancements and repair options...

excellent software....

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 18, 2008
  19. techie

fardly83

OK this is my experience now, and nothing problem and happy with it..

I've Disable D2D in Bios
    already have 1 GB of RAM
    Windows XP Proffesional Service Pack 2
    Msi Chipset, Card Reader, Audio Driver, VGA Driver, Lan Driver
    Acer Webcam Driver, Wifi Driver...
    Thats all for driver and all running smoothly without any bug.
    i've try install all acer driver still got problem complicated with wifi webcam and network. so i think msi driver is better
    Install XP, formatting the SSD to FAT32
    Turn off Paging
    Turn off System Restore
    Install Firefox 3 and your aao is perfect.
    buy 16gb sd and you will happy 4 ever
    thanks for all members give an tutorial or help. and finally its been easy and fast...

fardly83, Dec 30, 2008
  20. techie

frandu

Hello Folks,

I actually did every tweak mentioned in this thread. I still got "mini-freezes", so here's some questions:

- I could not disable page file because I only have 512, so from time to time windows tells me the virtual memory is low and it crashes. Anybody with 512MB did another option?
    - I can see that some folks left the SP2 installed and did not upgraded. You guys simply disabled the Automatic Updates? Is it healthy letting SP2?
    - Did you use the Classic Theme on XP? Is it really really worthy disabling the "Themes" on Services.msc?
    - I tried the tweaks I found here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43460 . Anybody tried those? Like the Disk Cache one?
    - I put the Graphics in 16bit mode, expecting an improve on performance. Don't know if affects the general performance. Anybody tried this?
    - I put the eboostr with 2GB on my SDHC Sandisk 16GB Class6. I confess I'm not sure if it really help the system... Any comments?

That's all people. Happy New Year's Eve for everyone!

frandu, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question