Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

GvidoR

Does this registry trick work on Windows Vista ? :D

GvidoR, Dec 31, 2008
  2. techie

fardly83

after installer all the tutorial above, then i try some tweak to give more faster and better... its amazing try it...

-To Increase System Performance

Right click my computer.
    Click properties.
    Click advanced.
    Click settings (under performance).
    Click Adjust for best performance.
    Scroll to the bottom and check the last one use visual styles on windows and buttons.

-Fine Tune Your Systems Memory

These Settings will fine tune your systems memory
    You need at least 256MB of ram to do this:
    Go to Start > Run then type in REGEDIT -and then to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

1.DisablePagingExecutive -Double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive yeilds faster performance.

2.LargeSystemCache- Double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this allows XP Kernal to Run in memory and improves system performance a lot.

-Tweak The Swap File

For Users with 256 MB RAM or more this tweak will boost their Windows- and Game-Performance.
    What it does: It tells Windows not to use any Swap File until there is really no more free RAM left.
    Open the System Configuration Utility by typing msconfig.exe in the RUNConservativeSwapfileUsage =1" under the 386enh section.
    Restart your Windows and enjoy better Game performance
    command. There in your System.ini you have to add "

-Disable DLL Caching

Windows Explorer caches DLLs (Dynamic-Link Libraries) in memory for a period of time after the application using them has been closed. This can be an inefficient use of memory.

1. Find the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWA RE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer].

2. Create a new DWORD sub-key named 'AlwaysUnloadDLL' and set the default value to equal '1' to disable Windows caching the DLL in memory.

3. Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

-Tweak The Prefetch

1. Run "Regedit"
    2. Goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParame ters\EnablePrefetcher]

3. Set the value to either 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both ("3" is recommended).

4. Reboot.

It will decrease the boot time but double and increase the performance of your XP.

-Speed up start menu

Start -> Run -> regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and then right click on ""MenuShowDelay" and click on "Modify", the figure you have here is in milliseconds. The standard is 400, I have mine set to 50, 0 is instant.
    Take your pick

Set your L2 cache

It was on 0 kb after my windows installation.

1. Go to run -> type Regedit

2. Go to _> hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\contro l\session manager\memory management.

3. At 'secondleveldatacache' set it to
    '200' for a Level2 Cache of 512 Kb

hope you also fastest like me... thanks

fardly83, Jan 1, 2009
  3. techie

azz2811

what differnce does turning D2D off make??

thanks

azz2811, Jan 1, 2009
  4. techie

fardly83

just read on the first page, have there...

fardly83, Jan 2, 2009
  5. techie

grantrice

Fardly: Is your Level 2 cache registry change in decimal or hex?

Thanks to everyone for your tips and tweaks.

grantrice, Jan 5, 2009
  6. techie

ramon2000

512 decimal = 200 hex

If you select decimal, you must input 512; if you select hex, then you must input 200.

Regards

ramon2000, Jan 6, 2009
  7. techie

Veshanna

You system wasn't set to use 0KB L2 cache. 0 means to auto-detect the L2 cache, which is available on every modern processor. Setting the value manually was only required for processors will off-die L2 cache.

I don't see how setting the value manually would hurt, but I cannot see how it would improve performance as the full 512KB should already be available.

Detailed Explanation of SecondLevelDataCache: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183063

"SecondLevelDataCache records the size of the processor cache, also known as the secondary or L2 cache. If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size. This entry is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache."

Veshanna, Jan 7, 2009
  8. techie

hoyin007

Other the above tweak, there is one more option you can play - EWF

It works best on SSD, since it has high read speed and crap write speed.

The basic idea is set up the AA1 till you satisfy, install or turn on EWF to protect whole C:\. Onced it rebooted, any write to disk activities will re-direct to RAM instead (so make sure max ram upgraded)! You can commit the change if required too.

With correct setup, you can get C:\ completely read only (SSD read only speed), and no need for anti-virus software (all write discard when reboot). Data can save to seperate drive instead.

hoyin007, Jan 9, 2009
  9. techie

Thomas A

Hello guys

I have done all steps on this site :
    http://aspireoneblog.com/blog/2008/12/s ... comment-20

+ a couple of more things

But I still have a startup time of 2 min 15 sek :( And I can’t really play music because the sound gets all chopped up when I move around windows and stuff.

What can I bee doing wrong?

I used Nlite to remove things from XP before I installed. Mabye I took something away what was supposed to be there?

I have the Acer Aspire One A110 with SSD. Thanks for any advice.

/Thomas

Thomas A, Jan 11, 2009
  10. techie

GvidoR

Thanks for the registry file!
    My XP seems to perform quite well... ;)

GvidoR, Jan 12, 2009
  11. techie

MCJUG

Fardly, I don't understand your directions for how to tweak the swap file. Can you tell me like I'm 5?

MCJUG, Jan 17, 2009
  12. techie

Nemix

Nemix, Jan 19, 2009
  13. techie

black_knight

Hey all, hopefully someone can put my faith back into my girlfriends Aspire One. Apologies if this has been discussed in the thread beforehand, 38 pages is alot to sift through. :D

Got it first, checked out linux but decided it might not be so user friendly for herself.

Firstly:
    Ended up nliteing an XP I had already. Worked grand except for a few things, no battery indicator, and when shutting down it would prompt "It is now safe to shut down your computer". Bit of googling later I realize this is due to windows not knowing what configuration of HAL (hardware abstraction Layer) to use so on installation of XP it defaults to "standard pc with c-step i486".
    I tried a few different copies of XP, all SP2 as far as I can remember so im gonna get my hands on a SP3 one and try that out ASAP. Could this help?

Secondly:
    I left her working away on the netbook without battery indicator and powering off after shutdown, assuring her it would be a temp scenario. Got myself another gig of RAM to speed things up (Specifically: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64). Nothing wrong there, seemed to be going well with the new RAM.
    Unfortunately, I started hearing such horrible words such as, blue screen, crash, wont turn on etc. No idea on the codes for the BSODs as she didnt take them down but as I was working away on it tonight, a "stop: d0000017 unknown hard error" BSOD pops up. Not so sure about its cause but ill be taking the extra 1gb of RAM out tomorrow and seeing if anything happens.
    Oh, and this BSOD is now stopping windows from loading so im locked out, normal and safe mode.

Has anyone had any problems similar to this at all? Or any problems with memory upgrades?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

black_knight, Jan 22, 2009
  14. techie

Guest Guest

@B-K.....the battery is most probably due to the missing bat.dll in system32. Put the file in system32 folder (search for dl link on this forum or on the blog mentioned in my signature) and then updat battery driver in control panel/system/hardware device.

Your remark that 38 pages reading is to much for you....you should learn to use the search function as we all had to learn :roll:...you will also find the RAM what should work and which won't

Guest, Jan 22, 2009
  15. techie

black_knight

This doesnt explain the "it is now safe to turn off your computer" prompt after shutdown, and seeing as I cant even start my AAO I cant download or add the bat.dll file.
    This is the least of my worries at the moment.

Well 38 pages was certainly too much reading when id planned to be sleeping. Ive used the search function, cant see where what RAM to use and which not to use is :?:
    I used crucial.com site for buying the RAM, so im expecting its the right stuff.

Cheers anyways

black_knight, Jan 22, 2009
  16. techie

StevieD

I'm very interested in possibily using Rons Tiny Xp (Thanks for all that work Ron). A few questions. What are some advantages and dissadvantages of this vs. the slimmed down XP that came with the One (1mb ram, 8gb SSD version)? Do you need need to do windows updates? I'm guessing no but wanted to confirm. Do you still need security protection? Thanks for all the help.

StevieD, Jan 22, 2009
  17. techie

seatzie

I got my Acer One last weekend, persevered for a few days, but the palava of trying to install Firefox 3 using the terminal window
    made me decide it was time to go back to XP.

I have a 160gb hdd machine, I disabled d2d, used my mates XBOX HD DVD drive and put a full copy of XP Pro SP2 on it.
    Used the Acer drivers, the wireless one didn't work first time, it wouldn't find any networks when I ran the network
    connection, but second time it found everything, logged on, lights working etc. I ran all the windows updates on it
    and added SP3 to it and its working brilliantly, I have a boot to desktop time of 25 seconds and I tried Zattoo TV on
    it and was able to watch live BBC TV no problem, so far so good.................

Is it just me or under Linux did I have a better wifi connection than XP? Linux always showed 5 bars, XP is only showing
    3, mind you my xbox and other laptop were turned on at the time though not doing anything netwise...........

I haven't installed the Camera drivers yet but when I go into My Computer its listed as a USB Camera and apparently
    works okay..........how do I find out which drivers I should add, liteon or Samsung?

Thanks to all the previous posters, reading all those gave me a heads up on what to look out for and how to install
    the drivers

seatzie, Jan 23, 2009
  18. techie

simbeb

It would be Liteon but if I were you I wouldn't install it at all. Stick to the default Microsoft driver which is more stable and download the free version of CaptureMax if you're going to make an extensive use of your camera...

simbeb, Jan 23, 2009
  19. techie

seatzie

thanks I'll give that a go

seatzie, Jan 23, 2009
  20. techie

black_knight

Ok so i finally figured it out.

My BSODs were being caused by a suspected loose connection between the SSD and the motherboard. Reconnected those any all seemed good.

As far a the "it is now safe to shut down your computer" screen, and the battery: This was caused (I suspect) by using an old version of XP SP2 which did not know what the intel atom processor was and could not determine the HAL configuration to use. Fixed this with a new lite version of windows XP SP3. Though to fix the battery error I just copied the batt.dll file to system32, as mentioned before. Thanks.

As regards the issue of connecting to the wireless after installing the drivers, and then not connecting to the wireless after reboot, and all icons in network connections disappearing: From what ive determined, its just by chance. I tried several installations of different XP SP3. The first seemed to work but the wireless disappeared, and for all my troubles I could not get the proper services files to start on start up. Eventually gave up and tried another copy of XP SP3 and since last night, all seems well.

Installed drivers as such:
    Chipset (restart)
    VGA (restart)
    LAN
    Wireless (restarted after connecting to network)
    Webcam
    Audio

Basically, once I installed my wireless I wasnt going any further until I was sure it was working. In my opinion, if your wireless disappears after a restart, save yourself the hassle and try a different lite XP SP3.

black_knight, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question