Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

nickp34

I am using the above and its work great with the latest flashpoint drivers and a few other tweeks. System is fast and stable. The internet button and status led also work.

nickp34, Jun 3, 2009
  2. techie

mehboob

Anyone tried to install Windows 7?

mehboob, Jun 7, 2009
  3. techie

orava

I have Acer aspire one A110. 8gb flash drive, and linpus. I installed XP and find out it is very slow of any kinda XP with tweaks (tinyXP, standard XP, nLite...).

Now i tested a Flashpoint (which increase SSD writing speed), and it fixed my "slow XP" problem. So i definetly recommend Flashpoint to everyone who have Acer aspire one with 8GB ssd.

orava, Jun 22, 2009
  4. techie

Tamrac

Of course, it runs great. check out the Windows 7 section of this forum. ;)

Tamrac, Jun 23, 2009
  5. techie

kuwait

Different versions of FlashPoint has different bugs. I have tried version 4 which had a following bug: When remove USB flash memory Windows crashes and blue skrean appears. So be carefully. I use now version 2 which works well. No bugs noted till now.

kuwait, Jun 23, 2009
  6. techie

orava

What is wrong in version 6? It works perfectly on my acer A110.

orava, Jun 25, 2009
  7. techie

tieitsch

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm absolutely not happy with my XP experience.
    My AAO doesn't go to sleep when I shut the lid and it doesn't regognise the battery. It always shows "AC line connected" and can't give me any information how much energy is left in the battery. Any advise? I think, I installed all the drivers I found on the acer support page, but I'm not completely sure, it's been a few weeks since I worked with XP the last time.

tieitsch, Jun 26, 2009
  8. techie

Tamrac

Install XP SP3....

Tamrac, Jun 27, 2009
  9. techie

tieitsch

Installed it, rebooted, it didn't work. Rebooted once more, didn't work either. The same problems keep occuring.

tieitsch, Jun 27, 2009
  10. techie

arcilite

arcilite, Jul 3, 2009
  11. techie

martinology

anyone know the diff between flashpoint and EWF ?
    which one has better performance?
    thx
    i hv 8.9" SSD winxp EWF 1.5Gb ram

martinology, Jul 9, 2009
  12. techie

h4ckii

Hi all,

I got 8GB SSD with 1 GB RAM with Ron's Tiny XP.
    I installed Flashpoint 2009b6.
    Assult Cube took 22 seconds to open before Flashpoint. After Flashpoint it took 11 seconds!!!!!!
    Windows is MUCH more responsive.
    I spent about 4 hours and no problems as yet.

Awesome stuff!!!

h4ckii, Jul 10, 2009
  13. techie

myksterx

hello people,

to the OP, thanks for this, im about to do this on my acer..

HOWEVER!!!.... (again) lol..

does anyone know where i can find one of the following:

1: A Windows XP SP3 original bootable ISO, so that i can use nLite to cut it down and remove all of the unwanted junk on it, and slipstream only the acers drivers, so that its a very minimum xp and hopefully pretty fast?

--- OR ---

2: A bootable ISO which has already been done with the above (only the drivers necesary for the acer etc.)

i would appreciate this very much, either one of the above, as im getting pretty bored of this linpus linux (sorry to the linux lovers out there lol)

cheers in advance AAO users!! :D

Mike.

myksterx, Jul 12, 2009
  14. techie

Antigen

Hi,

I have read that format the 8 GB SSD of the Acer Aspire in FAT32 is the best performance solution.

Into another forum I have read that format in FAT32 but with 32K clusters is the best solutions, by default XP format with 4K.

It's true that 32 K clusters size is a better solutions for best performance?

Antigen, Jul 13, 2009
  15. techie

tieitsch

To myksterx,
    if you have any XP CD you can use nLite to upgrade that CD to SP3 by downloading the service pack from microsoft.

tieitsch, Jul 14, 2009
  16. techie

fardly83

fardly83, Jul 16, 2009
  17. techie

BobbyF

Well my little Aspire One is absolutely flying, which I assume is because I've installed Flashpoint. But how can I tell if Flashpoint is actually running??

Power on to logon prompt in 22 seconds.

BobbyF, Aug 2, 2009
  18. techie

BrianM

Good Evening Gentlemen, a new member here,not exactly new to computers but new to the Aspire One. I am pleased that I found an Acer website that obviously contains such a vast amount of practical knowledge.

I purchased my new Aspire One AO751h yesterday and I was dumping Vista in favour of XP within 8 hours. The poor thing is dreadful with Vista. Surprisingly the XP install went quite smoothly and I am not sure why. I started the process using a USB drive but that failed towards the end of the install and started causing me trouble so I plugged in an external CD drive and was surprised to see the computer boot under XP. Being smart enough not to look a gift horse in the mouth I just proceeded with a perfectly normal XP install. I installed XP SP1 and then upgraded to SP2 and SP3 from the Microsoft website. Most of the drivers I needed I found after an internet search. A few odd problems appeared such has having to downgrade the WLAN driver to version 7.6.0.224 since the latest version refused to work.

I have one remaining problem that I thought might provide some amusement and a challenge the collected knowledge. When I attempt to install the Intel Graphics Driver(6.14.10.4926) the install fails with a Window's message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". There are two facts that support the failure message. First, the graphics driver is definitely not installed. Second, running the Intel "Chip Identification Utility" fails to recognise any of the chipset components. I have the Chipset driver version 8.3.0.1018 installed. My hunch is that the problem is somewhere in windows and it probably has nothing directly to do with the XP installation.

Apparently, in all other aspects the computer is behaving normally. The improvement in speed over Vista with the same DeLorme mapping programs, using GPS, is dramatic and the boot time is very pleasantly short. The Aspire will be used with a GPS module to fix positions approximately in remote locations. The light weight of the Aspire, its battery life, plus the ability to make notes on the computer display in the field should work out very well.

BrianM, Aug 10, 2009
  19. techie

Greg1982

Just a quick question, is there a way to remove the image of the ACER logo and netbooks on startup? just me being picky I suppose, did a search and couldn't find any else mentioning / asking about it.

Thanks.

Greg1982, Aug 10, 2009
  20. techie

BobbyF

BobbyF, Aug 11, 2009
Ask a Question