Steps to a happy XP experience

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. techie

ploink

It is very simple to get wifi working properly:
    Start IE and select tools->windows update. Make sure to select the custom update.
    After the detection process, it shows 2 hardware driver updates, one for lan and one for wifi.
    After installation wifi works perfectly, including the switch/LED.

ploink, Jul 30, 2008
  2. techie

Davidcowling

wow, windows update...

i run to you in times of need

Davidcowling, Jul 30, 2008
  3. techie

dandesigns

i doubt they will give Windows support for the 110L(8GB) model as it is sold as Linux only. If you want XP OS, buy the 150x version(120GB SATA).

It's like telling Nokia that your N90 can't run Windows CE properly.

Just my two cents. :)

dandesigns, Jul 30, 2008
  4. techie

julle

windows update shows me only 4 software updates, media player 11 etc.
    Does your wifi work normally on battery use and power savings from wifi adapter enabled?
    ping is 7ms and does'nt timeout all the time?

julle, Jul 30, 2008
  5. techie

sanlink

Hello

I also have a 8GB SSD acer one and the disk speed is annoying.

The normal firefox 3 is so slow when opening new tabs and websites, the ssd keeps writing stuff and slows down but I remembered there was a portable version of firefox...

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It now runs so quickly, I think that it automatically disables disk cache and web pages are not saved every time they are opened.

sanlink, Jul 31, 2008
  6. techie

Davidcowling

run portable apps off the ssd for an entire suite of browsers, email, office, POKER!, instant messaging

Davidcowling, Jul 31, 2008
  7. techie

denz_h

Try uing tinyXP rev09, disable pagingfile (you also have to delete it manually, pagingfile.sys), disable hibernate (if ON). It's fast!

denz_h, Jul 31, 2008
  8. techie

denz_h

I'm having some problems with our office network. I have the IP nos., DNS and security code configured but internet browsing is on and off. Even the tech guys in the office have difficulty explaining my A1's behavoir. (Then again, I've heard that other units also encounter similar problems). They try restarting the network cap (???) and only then does internet browsing begin to work again. Any recommendations people?

denz_h, Jul 31, 2008
  9. techie

Bobert

I upgraded to XP(the full xp pro sp3 cd version) .. and i still have 512mb of ram.
    it run great. I have 300mb of free ram as we speak. Of course it take 3-4 sec to launch an application but its cleary not a ram problem. so adding more RAM just to install xp is totaly futile. The delay is cleary a SSD problem. So saying that "you need 1.5gig to run xp" is false.

But of course,if you want to play games,or many,many big application at once more ram will help you,but anyway,if you do that the SSD will bottleneck you.

BTW in XP i installed a SD HC card in "storage expension" and it dont reconize it as an HD,i store files on it,but is there any way to make it be reconised as a real hd,like a secondary HD or something? cause i would like to install basicly any programs,even my A/V on the SDHC but right now when i try to do so it says "cannot install on a removable device"

Bobert, Jul 31, 2008
  10. techie

zk2008

for tinyxp can I use the same technique to create a bootable USB as is used for regular xp?

zk2008, Aug 1, 2008
  11. techie

squareflips

I spent all week trying out different ways to make windows xp work well with the acer aspire one. After trying out various xp installers and device drivers, these steps have worked best for me.

- installed TinyXP rev 09. Choose option 6 (Bare Installation with WMP, IE, and Outlook without additional drivers)

- choose FAT32 (This makes a BIG difference! I've tried NTFS with many installers but somehow, the SSD just doesn't like NTFS. FAT32 is so much faster... maybe thats why it works well with linux?)

- disable paging file

- disable write-caching for the SSD

- install the drivers from acer europe. (I've tried the MSI drivers and performance and stability is the same as from Acer Europe)

- install RAMDisk (set 380 mb) and set IE Temp folder to the RAMDisk Drive (Enhances watchablility of online videos... now I can watch youtube and others without any problem as it does not loads in SSD but in Memory). For more info: http://www.techsnack.net/gavotte-ramdis ... al-hardisk

- software I installed are.... MS Office 2003 (typical setting), Adobe Reader 9, ACDSee Photo Manager, NOD32 Antivirus, Klite Codec Pack Standard (I choose not to install Media Player classic), Winrar, MSN Messenger Live and updated IE6 to IE7 and WM to WM11. Also installed UX Theme MultiPatcher and used Razor Vista Theme.

- After all installations, I noticed that the write-caching on the SSD got enabled again and this time, I am unable to change it. Don't know why, however I didnt notice any slow down in performance.

I am very happy with the current setup. Everything is fast and behaves normallly like any typical laptop. I hope others will find a configuration that is best for them. Hope this helps!

squareflips, Aug 1, 2008
  12. techie

zk2008

I tried to create a bootable usb using the tinyxp rev09, but when I mounted the tinyxp iso, and then pointed the installer to that location, it gave me an error that that drive does not contain windows source files... what method did you guys use to install tinyxp on your aspire one? The eeepc way of creating a bootable usb seems to be a dead end...

Help, Please!

TIA

Zack,

zk2008, Aug 1, 2008
  13. techie

squareflips

Zack,

Sorry, can't help you there. I used an external dvd-rom drive.

squareflips, Aug 1, 2008
  14. techie

chicoicho

Hi i'm from Bulgaria and i have Acer and thanks for tips.Now my acer very fast runing windows xp.Thanks again.

chicoicho, Aug 1, 2008
  15. techie

jumpjunkie

i did all the stuff,and to be honest,the thing that worked the most was sp3.it was only at that point that it became useable.it still freezes a tad when i ask windows to do stuff like installations,apart from that its ok,

so.
    did the bios...
    fat 32
    installed drivers.
    switched off paging
    sp3

so now...how to keep it clean?
    any good suggestions for antivirus/spyware?

jumpjunkie, Aug 2, 2008
  16. techie

squareflips

Doesn't seem to have any problems running nod32. Deep scans are finished within a few mins. As for firewall, I'm gona tryout Ghostwall firewall. Its free and suppose to be very light on resource. The installer is only 656KB. http://www.ghostsecurity.com/ghostwall/

Anyone using ghostwall? How does it perform?

squareflips, Aug 3, 2008
  17. techie

e_p_a_k

did you have any problems with the battery indicator? i don't seem to have the drivers for it.:( it says that it's always on AC power even when it isn't. help anyone?

e_p_a_k, Aug 3, 2008
  18. techie

squareflips

I had no problems with the battery icon. Even shows accurate time remaining. What window installer are you using?

squareflips, Aug 3, 2008
  19. techie

e_p_a_k

I used an nLited Windows XP with SP3 using guide: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

I followed it practically to the letter, and I rechecked my setup to make sure that "Battery" is enabled. I've tried installing and reinstalling, and I'm sure I've installed all the official Acer drivers. Any help? Do you think you could post your drivers?

Additional info: When XP prompted me during installation asking what type of computer it was, I set it as Standard PC. Maybe that's why it doesn't think I need a battery? IDK.:(

e_p_a_k, Aug 3, 2008
  20. techie

squareflips

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware (tab) -> Device Manger. Under System devices, do you see a "Microsoft Composite Battery"? If not, then uninstall BOTH Microsoft AC adaptor AND Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in Device Manager and reboot. On reboot, allow Microsoft AC adaptor AND Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery to be reinstalled and you should then see "Microsoft Composite Battery" and hopefully your battery indicator will work normally.

squareflips, Aug 3, 2008
Ask a Question