Striped display problems

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by tecepe, Feb 26, 2010.

1. tecepe

tecepe

I bought this AAO ZG5 back in July, and then upgraded its memory to 1.5GB. Since then, I had the same problem as described in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=15680

That is, sometimes the display would be set to a lower resolution on boot. I could usually solve the problem by rebooting, so I didn't put a lot of effort into solving that.

Yesterday, however, my display started presenting horizontal stripes on the display. It's a bit hard to describe, but the image seems as if it were interlaced. That is, every other pixel row is dimmed much brighter than it should be, so much that it looks like a white row. This renders most text illegible, and it's quite annoying to make out what's on the screen.

I have since completely disassembled my AAO, reseated the cables, and the problem persists, even though the resolution problem is mostly solved now. I couldn't solve the striping problem by messing with the cable, so I'm thinking it might be the screen.

Has anyone been through this same problem? I'm about to order a replacement screen from eBay, but first I want to make sure it's not the cable or something else. It's definitely a hardware issue since the stripes are present even at the post screen.

Thanks in advance!

tecepe, Feb 26, 2010
  2. tecepe

Swarvey Moderator

Have you tried different RAM? I've seen similar problems caused by faulty RAM in desktop PC's with RAM being shared to onboard graphics. The RAM you've installed could be faulty, incompatible, or may have been static-shocked while installing. It's a bit out there, but it is a possibility. If you don't have any other RAM, you could always try Memtest86

Swarvey, Feb 26, 2010
  3. tecepe

tecepe

Hi Swarvey, thanks for answering. I thought that too, and tried swapping back the original module, and also without any add-on modules (just the onboard 512mb). Just in case, I removed the add-on module again and ran Memtest86 from Backtrack on the onboard memory, and it seems to be fine.

I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem, even after googling a lot. I'd love to see some keyword suggestions for that problem, they're kinda hard to come up with. Also worth mentioning: using an external monitor works fine. I really suspect the LCD panel is to blame, since it seems to be quite an uncommon problem.

tecepe, Feb 26, 2010
  4. tecepe

Swarvey Moderator

All I can say is that it sounds like a defective screen, or that it has developed a fault. See what Acer support says, you may be able to claim it on warranty. I'd hope so at least.

Swarvey, Feb 26, 2010
Ask a Question