Striped screen

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by OneLadyOwner, May 19, 2010.

1. OneLadyOwner

OneLadyOwner

I had my AA1 open on the floor when I pulled the quilt off my bed. It swept over the screen and keyboard. The screen now only displays some strange stripes: mostly vertical but some horizontal - rather like a tartan! It is possible that the metal zip hit something. :eek:

I have tried switching it off and giving it a rest. I am not sure if it is a hardware or software problem, or can be fixed by hitting the right keys or combination of keys. It does respond to FN to increase brightness and to switch the display, also to sleep.

It seems to be going through the motions of starting up ok, judging by the lights, but the usual screen display just isn't there.

I just don't know what to do, so any suggestions will be gratefully received.

OneLadyOwner, May 19, 2010
  2. OneLadyOwner

RockDoctor

Sounds like a problem with the connection between the screen and the motherboard - possible a connector partially disconnected or broken wire(s). Time to open up your AA1 and take a look at the innards

RockDoctor, May 25, 2010
  3. OneLadyOwner

mynameistwista

My wife and I just encountered this problem yesterday as well, except our D250 didn't get knocked around (as far as we know... we have a 2 yr hold in the house) it just started doing it all of a sudden.

Our issue sounds nearly identical: usually there're kind of gray vertical lines, sometimes a few horizontal (but always in the middle, like it's dividing the screen into quadrants) and sometimes the vertical lines are different colors. The really odd thing is that the screen will work perfectly fine if it's angled all the way back away from the keyboard. If it's moved from that position, it starts freaking out again.

Before coming across this post, I removed the front cover from the screen, thinking it might be an issue at the hinge, but my untrained eye didn't see anything. Any more help (other than "open up your AA1 and take a look") would be greatly appreciated! Maybe a picture of what the screen-motherboard connection SHOULD look like (oh, and where to find it :D ). Thanks for the help!

mynameistwista, May 31, 2010
  4. OneLadyOwner

RockDoctor

Although I have no problem with opening up any of my desktop machines (I've even built a few), laptops (and netbooks) are another matter. The last time I opened one of my laptops, it took me a couple of days to get it reassembled properly. You might want to cross-post your problem on the hardware section (if you haven't already) - there are plenty of folks who have opened up their Aspire Ones, and they might have some suggestions/helpful hints.

RockDoctor, Jun 1, 2010
  5. OneLadyOwner

Forone

If you haven't, you should try connecting an external monitor to determine if the problem is really with the netbook screen - if the external screen works right it's a good sign you're got hardware damage of some sort. No advice on opening the netbook, which I'm afraid to do.

Forone, Jun 1, 2010
  6. OneLadyOwner

mynameistwista

mynameistwista, Jun 2, 2010
  7. OneLadyOwner

OneLadyOwner

I now know that a striped screen is a sign that the screen is cracked. The repair man told me this: he even had a photograph on his wall that looked like striped pyjamas. It cost me £111 for a replacement screen :eek: : it is a matte screen, which I think is an improvement of the ultra glossy one.

It was a freak accident: I was very unlucky. These AA1s are not toys, but I was treating mine a bit like one.

OneLadyOwner, Jun 18, 2010
Ask a Question