Struggling to get Pidgin to install

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Speedie, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Speedie

Speedie

Hi,
    I downloaded Pidgin from the main website and put the file in /etc/yum.repos.d. But then when I go to add/remove software I get the following error:

"Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: pidgin. Please verify its path and try again".

I can only clear this by unticking Pidgin in the repository manager. Anyone know what might be causing this and if it's possible to get Pidgin working? Many thanks in advance.

Speedie, Jun 13, 2009
  2. Speedie

RockDoctor

From the Pidgin website:
    Linpus (presumably that's what you're using) is a derivative of Fedora 8. If you can find an active Fedora 8 mirror, you can set up a repo file for it in /etc/yum.repos.d, or you can try downloading the rpm files directly from http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=3460 Select the latest version with fc8 in the name. There are some dependencies, you'll need to download them too.

What I do in situations like this is download the main file into an empty directory. Then in a terminal window, I cd to that directory and then type
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh *.rpm
    . If all requirements are met, this will install all rpms in the current directory, upgrading where appropriate. If you're missing files, you'll see a (reasonably) appropriate error message - just download the needed file and try again. Repeat the last sentence as necessary.

RockDoctor, Jun 14, 2009
Ask a Question