Stuck in 'Start up repair' loop

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Penguins, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Penguins

Penguins

Thought I'd put Windows 7 on the Netbook... it is supposed to be an upgrade after all. Big mistake it turns out.

I'm now stuck in a loop where it tries to repair it to no avail- it won't boot and I can't enter safe mode using F8.

A Google search suggested it may be something to do with installing the touchpad drivers, but as I can't get into the system I can't remove them. And as I installed from a USB stick, I can't put the disc in the drive to recover things from there either.

Short of trying to put XP back on, is there anything I can do?

Penguins, Jan 5, 2010
  2. Penguins

Blahah

Please answer the following...

Do you still have the Windows 7 USB you installed from?
    Did you install a retail copy or a modded version (like Tiny7)?
    Which model of AAO do you have?
    Did it ever boot into Windows 7?
    What exactly shows on the screen when you boot? Do you get to the page where it gives you the option for safe mode?

-Blahah

Blahah, Jan 6, 2010
  3. Penguins

Penguins

No
    Retail
    150AB
    Yes, once immediately after install.
    It refuses to show the safe mode options screen, it goes straight to the start up repair dialog and that's as far as it'll get.

Penguins, Jan 6, 2010
  4. Penguins

Blahah

You should be able to press enter from the startup repair dialog, which will take you to a list of OSes to boot. Then you should be able to select windows 7 and then choose the last option in the list, 'use last known good configuration (advanced)'.

Does this not happen?

Blahah, Jan 6, 2010
  5. Penguins

Penguins

No it doesn't.

I've just now managed to get into the "Windows 7 Boot Manager" by pressing F5 on start up (rather than F8), but again there is no option for safe mode on there either.

Penguins, Jan 6, 2010
  6. Penguins

Penguins

It would appear that this tool may have facilitated the creation of a bootable USB drive for a successful reinstall of Win 7.

Penguins, Jan 8, 2010
  7. Penguins

Blahah

You can just recreate the USB stick you used to install Win7, using the same method you used then, and boot the USB stick. Then choose the 'repair Windows' option, which appears several screens in. This will scan and repair your bootsector and system files required for boot. Even if it doesn't work, you should at least get the 'safe mode' option after this.

Blahah, Jan 9, 2010
Ask a Question