Sudden black screen when batterie is on 20%

Discussion in 'Linux' started by reglof, Dec 23, 2008.

1. reglof

btpenguin

Mine too :). I'm just trying to figure out if it's purely a hardware problem, or more a driver problem. The original poster of this thread solved it by updating his Linpus, XP users solved it by updating their webcam driver, I sort of solved it by not echoing "auto" into the webcam's /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-5/power/level. All that seems to indicate that it's (at least partly) software related.

btpenguin, Feb 23, 2009
  2. reglof

ronime

Hmmm...

Is there any evidence to suggest that the webcams under suspicion are the Suyin devices?

All six of the AA1s that I have had hold of had the LiteOn webcam device and only one had the black screen on battery power issue.

ronime, Feb 23, 2009
  3. reglof

btpenguin

Yes, lsusb tells me that my webcam is a Suyin one.

btpenguin, Feb 23, 2009
  4. reglof

Nibble

I have the same problem with my A110 (Debian unstable, stock kernel 2.6.26). When the battery reaches 20-40% the screen always goes black, the system stop responding, and the power button stays on.

As was mentioned, maybe the cause is the webcam. If so changing some usb power configurations could fix it.

This document explains the Linux USB power management interface. Perhaps writing an "on" or "suspend" to power/level could avoid the hang:
    http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... gement.txt

Nibble, Feb 23, 2009
  5. reglof

ronime

I should also mention that my A110 would shutdown whilst in the BIOS settings screen (before the OS was booted) and the battery dropped below 60%.

Irrespective of whether the webcam needs a driver update in Linux or Windows, this should not happen before the OS is loaded and should therefore be considered as a hardware fault.

ronime, Feb 23, 2009
  6. reglof

btpenguin

That seems to be true. As long as I don't touch that value, it's "on" and the hang doesn't occur.

Yes, that does sound like a hardware problem. That has never happened on my A110 though.

btpenguin, Feb 23, 2009
  7. reglof

btpenguin

OK, I just tested: "suspend" causes the hang too. So only "on" is a safe value.

btpenguin, Feb 23, 2009
  8. reglof

libssd

For what it's worth re the webcam hypothesis, lsusb shows Acer Crystal Eye Webcam, and I have never had a power management problem. Early on with this machine, I ran it right into the ground (something like 3% battery level).

libssd, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question