Switching desktops

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Demonic, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Demonic

Demonic

Is it possible to switch between desktops using someting like the pager applet from KDE on the Linpus edition on the AA1, I have already created more desktops and given those desktops names but I can't switch between them. I hope someone can help me thanks in advance!

Demonic, Sep 29, 2008
  2. Demonic

Japser

Does ctrl-alt-leftarrow/rightarrow do that ?
    Or ctrl-alt-F2/F3 ?
    I am not on a One, but on a ordinary pc with Debian.

Japser, Sep 30, 2008
  3. Demonic

Demonic

Thanks for your reply, CTRL+ALT + leftarrow or rightarrow does switch to other desktops. Now I need to find out how to store the desktop settings since the Linpus distro resets all settings on a reboot.

Demonic, Sep 30, 2008
  4. Demonic

kapinouwi

in /etc/fstab maybe...

kapinouwi, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Demonic

Demonic

Rge /etc/fstab is the filesystems table, I'm not planning on mounting other devices yet, I just want to have an applet showing the four default (virtual) desktops that are available in every Linux distro (except Ubuntu which has only two virtual desktops by default). In my opinion it makes more sense to use such an applet to switch desktopt since it can also show which windows are opened on certain desktops, ctrl-alt + arrowkeys are useful to just switch it, the compiz manager also accomplishes the switching but I would really like to see which programs are set on which desktops.

Is the anyone that has another sensible solution for this?

Demonic, Oct 1, 2008
  6. Demonic

kapinouwi

7. Demonic

Demonic

Got it, thanks for the link, the applet I meant is called Pager, it can be found when typing 'xfce4-panel -a' in the command screen (alt + F2) or at the terminal. Just add the Pager to the xfce panel, it has an icon with four squares. Then, in order to add more virtualdesktops, enter 'xfce-setting-show' at the terminal or command screen. The icon for adding more virtualdesktops is hidden since the complete xfce-settings Manager doesn't fit in the standard aspireone screen. select the icon that shows two windows, don't open it, and push the down-arrow once and press enter. A window will popup allowing you to add as much virtual desktops as you want. Note that the applet that was added to the xfcepanel shows all the virtualdekstops that you've created.

Thanks a lot.

Demonic, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question