Synaptics software/driver on Vista

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by spyderms, Oct 19, 2008.

1. spyderms

spyderms

The Synaptics driver seems to be locking up my mouse cursor in Vista. It seems to be at random as well. Clicking seems to work fine, but the cursor won't move left/right until I launch the task manager and end the task of the software. Once the software has closed, the cursor works fine (though all the extras the come with the software don't work, ie scrolling, pinching, etc). I'm running a vLited version of Vista Ultimate. I went to the Synaptics website, but they state that each laptop has specific drivers for it, and I should use those. They have a generic driver, but it was an entire version number behind the one I have installed.

Mostly what I want to know is if any other Vista users are having this same problem, and if they found a way to fix it. Thanks in advance!

-John

spyderms, Oct 19, 2008
  2. spyderms

goofball

I believe I used the older version on Vista and it worked fine, it was a version 10 (can't remember 100% exactly what the rest of the version was).

goofball, Oct 20, 2008
  3. spyderms

spyderms

That was the version on their website as well. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Edit: Although it seems the driver is working, a lot of the extra functionality isn't, even though this driver technically supports it according to the software. Either way, at least it's not freezing up anymore.

spyderms, Oct 20, 2008
  4. spyderms

wongnog

I have tried a bunch of different versions of Synaptics Touchpad drivers for Vista, but all seem to crash after just a few minutes of touchpad use. I have to end the process of syntpenh.exe in order to use my touchpad again, or restart my computer. I've tried the latest Vista drivers on the Synaptics site (v10.1.8) as well as the original Acer ones for XP (v11.1.4). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wongnog, Nov 25, 2008
  5. spyderms

jvs

Same issue here with Windows Vista Ultimate (lite), using the driver Touchpad Synaptics V 11.1.4.
    Removed that driver and installed the version: Windows Vista 32-bit Edition v10.1.8 (less functionality, but working better so far).

JVS

jvs, Jan 4, 2009
  6. spyderms

reydiodj

If you want the full functionality back, install the 11.1.4 driver via the Program Compatibiity Wizard in Windows Help and run it for XP.

reydiodj, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question