System crash

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Stuart Graham, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

Looking for some help please. Last Tuesday whilst using my Acer One Aspire (160Gb) I encountered the dreaded blue screen and a horrific screaching sound. No amount of Ctrl Alt Del or Escape button presses helped so I had to power down using the main power button. A reboot resulted and all seemed fine. Up until this point I have had no problems. On Thursday I replaced my Antivirus software and again all seemed fine. On Friday I botted up only to find that it took an age to start up (about 3 or 4 times as long as normal) and whilst playing music the sound is intermittently distorted. Even when navigating through folders the obligitory 'Ding' seems to repeat three or four times. Other than this everything seems ok until you try and run a program. To try and rectify the problem I have defragmented and run a virus check these took around 6 hours each to do. It's as if it's running on go slow mode. Does anyone have any ideas or encountered anything similar? I have removed all documents and files from the netbook that I put on i.e. videos, music, pdf's word etc to free up the hard disk as much as possible to see if this would help but has made no difference. I have tried a system restore but this is not available. As a very last resort I would consider the Erecovery option. Has anyone opted for this before and what were your experiences? Does it wipe everything else other than the 'out of the box' settings?

Stuart Graham, Nov 9, 2009
  2. Stuart Graham

TechMark

TechMark, Nov 11, 2009
  3. Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

Many thanks, This appears to have worked only took a few minutes and the sound plays smoothly

Stuart Graham, Nov 11, 2009
  4. Stuart Graham

Stuart Graham

Out of curiosity what does this "fix" actually do and does it repair other faults? is this limited to Aspire One netbooks? forgive the lack of knowledge

Stuart Graham, Nov 11, 2009
Ask a Question