System Language

Discussion in 'Linux' started by helcioft, Nov 27, 2008.

1. helcioft

helcioft

Hello,

My father has bought me an Acer Aspire One in Panama. We're from Brazil. The problem is that all the applications came in Spanish. In general it's not a big problem, but sometimes it's really difficult to find what you're looking for. Everything is in Spanish. The office package that came with it, etc. Does anybody have any idea about what I should do?

Thanks,

Hélcio!

helcioft, Nov 27, 2008
  2. helcioft

daldred

Althoug you bought your AAO in a Spanish-speaking country, the chances are that all the languages are actually available. There is a command called "oobe" - it stands for "Out Of Box Experience" and is what you should usually see the very first time you start your AAO, which is when you would be able to set your basic preferences.

Hit alt-F2 and fill in
    Code:
    sudo oobe
    and you will get this running - I hope it will enable you to select 'English' and go from there!

daldred, Nov 27, 2008
  3. helcioft

helcioft

I'll try that!

Thanks!

helcioft, Nov 27, 2008
  4. helcioft

douglas

I purchased a new Aspire one working on Linux, and find the Unit fantastic, my only problem is that i can not use the @ sign unless i use shift and number 2. Changed the system language to English EN not USA.

Still having the same problem, very annoying when you are typeing web address. Can anyone offer any help to resolve this

Thanks

Douglas

douglas, Nov 28, 2008
  5. helcioft

daldred

This is the keyboard version setting.

Two options: first, have you got a little blue square icon in the tray, probably with US on it? If so., right-click that, then left-click the text 'Keyboard Layout Settings' which appears. Select the English(UK) layout from the list, click the 'set as default' button, OK it and you should have the UK layout set up.

If you haven't got the icon, get a command line (ALT-F2) and type "keyboard_layout" in the box, then click OK. This is just another way to get to the keyboard layout selector. I haven't tried this method to make any permanent changes, but I would expect it to work.

daldred, Nov 29, 2008
  6. helcioft

nivr

Hey

Is it possible to enable Hebrew language keys layout in Linpus light?
    (Am thinking of purchasing Acer aspire one).

Thanks.

nivr, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question