System Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by flyking1, Feb 22, 2009.

1. flyking1

flyking1

Hi Folks, hope this is the right forum for this issue...I have an Aspire One with 8Gig SSD and 8Gig memory card. I went into control panel and system settings and noticed that system restore in Windows was turned off. When I tried to turn it on to start creating restore points, I got an error message and haven't been able to turn it turn. I also cannot find the Acer Empowering software on my desktop or start menu programs, or by doing the alt-F10 tapping thing on startup. I talked to Acer customer support and they thought I had an incomplete or corrupted software load from the factory. I sent the thing back to them and they reloaded the OS and sent the thing back to me. Guess what? Same problems as before, only now with the additional problem that the McAfee security software wouldn't update. I called them back and they really have no solution or clue to my problem, it seems. Yesterday I bought an optical disk drive and reloaded the OS myself using the discs they shipped with the computer. McAfee is back to normal, but same problem with the Windows system restore features and still no Acer Empowering software. At least I now can restore the thing if I ever need to using the optical discs, but I've now spent close to $100 on shipping back to the repair facility and on an optical drive. Anyone had similar problems or have suggestions? I don't think they are shipping the software they think they are.

flyking1, Feb 22, 2009
  2. flyking1

jeremysdad

I believe that you will have to resize the amount of drive space that is allocated by Windows for System Restore points. It may either be too large or small right now. Also, because of how Sys restore works, I think it would maybe cause hiccups in the smooth operation of your Windows.

As for the built in restore...not sure, as I have never seen an 8+8 model in real life, but the PQSERVICE partition (likw was on mine) is 5 Gb of space, and I'm not sure that you'd want to give that up, nor do I think that Acer even put it on there to begin with. That's why your Alt+F10 doesn't work. That's also why, I theorize, that your One came with restore media, while we HDDers have to order them after the fact.

If you had the service partition + factory loaded software and OS, then you would have almost 10 Gb of your drive taken up, before you even logged on for the first time.

jeremysdad, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question