The following file is missing or corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows' started by heseltine, Jul 24, 2009.

1. heseltine

heseltine

Hi,
    I have an aspire one running Windows XP Home Edition.
    Earlier i switched it on and was greeted by a message saying:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Please can someone give me some advise on what i should do to fix this?
    Thanks.

heseltine, Jul 24, 2009
  2. heseltine

godshifter

I'm having the same problem. I just got my AOA150 back from Acer YESTERDAY. I sent it in because I had chnaged the OS and erased the hidden partition, and the disks I bought from them were GARBAGE and never worked, though I spent $125 on an external disk drive for them. I've had to do the ALT F10 restore 3 times in less than 24 hours, and this is affecting my work cause I'm a sheet music engraver. Somebody please tell me whats going on with this, I have a bad feeling that its a fucked up hard drive, I don't know. Oh, I also upgraded my RAM yesterday, maybe THAT could be the cause?

godshifter, Aug 12, 2009
  3. heseltine

godshifter

Did some research, could be Internet Explorer 8. I don't know why, thats all it said, but it COULD be, cause It's always the next boot after I install it, though I never turn this fucker off unless I'm scrapping McAfee cause you have to reboot. Who did they blow to be able to come in a bundle with EVERY version of windows OOB? It's insane. Makes me crazy.

godshifter, Aug 12, 2009
  4. heseltine

Forone

Here's the earlier series on this: a bad news story, but he got an exchange unit under warranty. I repeat what I said about using Revo to uninstall McAfee, etc. and CCleaner, but that it also might be a hardware issue covered by warranty.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15760

Forone, Aug 13, 2009
  5. heseltine

garrovick

Actualy, it's a wide spread Windows OS problem, not just caused by Acer or any other manufacture's problem. Causes range fom installing IE8, changing the boot up drive in BIOS and might even be installing/deleting programs designed to run under Vista.

garrovick, Aug 13, 2009
  6. heseltine

jasontamu

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I got this same thing going on with mine! :shock: :shock: :( :( :evil: :evil:

anyone figure out the fix........i have a good bud thats gonna help me out with this, but im doing all my homework right now in learing whats wrong with this thing..........boo...

-J

jasontamu, Aug 18, 2009
  7. heseltine

garrovick

An update - I ordered the restore disks from Acer and fixed my "hal" problem. Every thing was reinstalled just like it was right out of the box. Been running a week and no new problems yet. I got tired of playing with Ubuntu for three months. Now I have both installed.

garrovick, Aug 18, 2009
Ask a Question