the @ key

Discussion in 'Linux' started by donky7, Oct 31, 2008.

1. donky7

donky7

hi.

just bought 2 of these lil units, and the @ key is not where it should be, i'm aware that the languagee needs to be changed, but cant seem to find english nor change where i s hould change it to.

i do see, on the taskbar, a keyboard symbol, but its grey and not clickable.

i've looked in the settings folder, but all i see ies input languages.from there i'm lost,... (new to linux)

could anyone offer a guide.?

thanks.............. donks.

donky7, Oct 31, 2008
  2. donky7

donec

Sounds like you bought non-English versions. Unless the @ symbol you are talking about is not the Keyboard @.

donec, Oct 31, 2008
  3. donky7

Yaniel

i had the same problem on mine today. i went to settings > keyboard layout and selected english us international

Yaniel, Oct 31, 2008
  4. donky7

donky7

i dont see keyboard layout,,,?????

can you prompt me please

my 2 were bought from tesco's ..... in nottingham.

donky7, Oct 31, 2008
  5. donky7

donky7

all sorted thanks.......

after performing a full update, it then allowed me to access the keyboard properties and change to english,,,,,,,,,

thanks all.

donks.

donky7, Oct 31, 2008
  6. donky7

convert

The default US International keyboard is not the same as it is under Windows. There it allows vowels with accents by using the ' " ^ keys before the vowels to generate them.
    This keyboard does not do that.
    Anybody knows how to achieve it under Linpus?

convert, Nov 2, 2008
  7. donky7

88squire

Found your 2Nov08 mail while looking for an answer to the same problem,bought an AA1,Linpus, at xmas. Finally got an answer from the John Lewis help desk .
    From the home page click settings button on the bottom right. The settings page should show 12 icons the last showing Keyboard Layout,
    If you do not have the Keyboard Layout icon ,which incidently is not shown in the picture in the application manual page 5 !!, go back to Browser-Tools-Download updates, this takes ages but includes keyboard updates.
    Start again at settings and this time you should have the Keyboard Layout icon. click on this and it give you a list of languages , untick US and tick UK, click OK.
    Problem solved . Happy New Year

88squire, Jan 7, 2009
  8. donky7

convert

Thank you 88squire for your reply. However it wasn't my question.. I need accented vowel like the ones available from Windows using the US International keyboard.

convert, Jan 8, 2009
  9. donky7

Baza

Are you trying to insert accented vowels in a document? if you use open office insert>special characters>select and then close.

Baza, Jan 9, 2009
  10. donky7

convert

This is totally impractical when I want to type a letter or a document. With the US International keyboard I just have to hit an extra keystroke when I need such a character. Why can't such a keyboard be implemented in Linux, Windows has had it for at least 20 years.

convert, Jan 13, 2009
  11. donky7

donec

I don't know about with Linpus and I have not tried it with Mandriva but in Mepis (Linux) and XP you can setup your language keyboard with a hot key to switch between the keyboards. This allows my wife to be typing in Russian and then when she wants to type something in English she just switches keyboards and types the English portion and then back to Russian. The alphabet for Russian is very different than English so I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing for special characters found in other languages.

donec, Jan 14, 2009
  12. donky7

convert

Setting up a special keyboard again defeats the purpose. I would have to change what the keys mean as opposed to what I see in front of me.
    The beauty of the US International keyboard in Windows is that nothing changes except that three or four "dead keys" get created which if hit cause nothing to happen except when followed by the appropriate vowel the vowel becomes accented. This is a little oversimplified explanation, a much better one should be available after a search.
    I really am not looking for make shift solutions, I just want the same keyboard that Windows gives. I find it hard to believe that with the huge Linux/Unix user community it is such an impossible feature to ask for.
    I have Crossover office. Could the Windows keyboard be implemented under it? If so how?

convert, Jan 15, 2009
  13. donky7

donec

It may be able to use that keyboard with Linux but first you would need to isolate the software that is run to make the keyboard function that way. I have never seen the keyboard you talk about myself. However! if it is a USB keyboard and you can get the software to run under Crossover then it seems to me it should work. If you can disable the AAO keyboard. Anyway good luck.

donec, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question