The Taskbars gone!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by McMonkeyBoy, Dec 6, 2008.

1. McMonkeyBoy

McMonkeyBoy

I have made the gravest mistake that there is...I kindly(and stupidly) leant my mum and brother my AAO for the past few days while I was busy at work. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but due to idle fingers on my little brothers part and my mistake of leaving advanced mode active I have lost my Taskbar(The homebar).

I can no longer open up network center, connect to the web or open my emails. Im also pretty freakin' skint after just forking out for two Extreme Dual Cores. Meaning I can't afford an external drive.

Does anybody know if there's a way of me either rebuilding the taskbar, restoring it or doing a sort of system restore?
    :mrgreen: Any help appreciated.

McMonkeyBoy, Dec 6, 2008
  2. McMonkeyBoy

rbil

What happens if you do ALT+F2 and run: xfce4-panel ?

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 6, 2008
  3. McMonkeyBoy

McMonkeyBoy

Unfortunately nothing happens! Thanks anyway tho I might just have to invest in an external DVD drive. :eek:

McMonkeyBoy, Dec 6, 2008
  4. McMonkeyBoy

rbil

Well, I guess you could try this and then reboot and see whether the panel is recreated:

Code:
    mv ~/.config/xfce4/panel ~/.config/xfce4/panel.old

This will rename that directory to panel.old, probably forcing the system on the next bootup to rebuild it. Should that work, you can go in and rm panel.old

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 6, 2008
  5. McMonkeyBoy

McMonkeyBoy

:shock: That didn't work but while browsing on Google I found a code that has sort of worked. I've rebuilt the taskbar without knowing it and managed to reconnect to the internet. Im just gonna go grab the code now thank you so much for your help!
    Code:
     xfce4-panel -a
    Then simply drag & drop to add or remove!

McMonkeyBoy, Dec 6, 2008
  6. McMonkeyBoy

rbil

I don't understand how you could drag and drop on a panel what wasn't there?

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 6, 2008
  7. McMonkeyBoy

McMonkeyBoy

It's in advanced mode, what had happened was my little brother had deleted the original home panel and it's been replaced by multiple panels that were unconfigured and empty. Therefore what I needed was a way to restore the original panel that was the machines default. Thankfully the code above allows you to rebuild the panel via drag and drop.

McMonkeyBoy, Dec 6, 2008
  8. McMonkeyBoy

rbil

I'm quite aware of: xfce4-panel -a

What you said was the taskbar was "gone". Not that it was corrupted. Had you stated the problem more clearly, I'd have told you about xfce4-panel -a :)

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 6, 2008
  9. McMonkeyBoy

info

I remember losing my taskbar a couple of years ago and a system restore got it back for me. Good luck!

info, Dec 6, 2008
  10. McMonkeyBoy

MichaelH

Hi Folks

I'm new to the forum and the Acer Aspire One. I too lost my taskbar by playing around in advance - my own silly fault and ended up with blank panels instead.

I got it back by using:

mv ~/.config/xfce4/panel ~/.config/xfce4/panel.old

and the restarting the machine.

I am so glad I have found this forum it has helped me on all sorts of things. I think I am a member now for life!

Many thanks

Mike :)

MichaelH, Dec 14, 2008
  11. McMonkeyBoy

jrs

I have the same trouble. Any chance someone could post the good .config/xfce4/panel files?

I like the original panel just fine and would like to get it back without the fuss of rebuilding... Thanks!

jrs, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question