The wifi password is not saved

Discussion in 'Networking' started by webvince18, Feb 12, 2009.

1. webvince18

webvince18

Last weekend, I had an unkonwn problem on my One : I shut down it with no changes or updates made by myself. Few hours later when I switched it on, many changes where in the system :
    - I had a new task bar on the top
    - My "old" task bar didn't have the same icons
    - It asked me for the wifi password
    - My desktop picture disappeared
    I solved other problems, but now when I switch on my One, each time It ask me for the wifi password. I deleted my connection and created it again with no effect... OK, it's not a big problem, but very annoying !
    I use linpus with the xfce desktop script applied.

webvince18, Feb 12, 2009
  2. webvince18

webvince18

Nobody has an idea ?

webvince18, Mar 25, 2009
  3. webvince18

solpuerto

Bonjour webvince18

How is France these days?
    I am sorry but I have no idea about your problems but I suggest you google "macles" and look for his script on how to created a backup/restore routine on a USB stick. Works great on the SSD drive and gives you a great feeling that if anything is screwed up you can all ways restore to your last saved working position.

Hope you get an answer to your problem and that the spelling of my little French is at least correct.

solpuerto, Apr 8, 2009
  4. webvince18

cativo

Hi, webvince18:

I had a problem similar to yours one, but it appeared after an upgrade. It was annoying to copy and paste the password every time I tried to connect the wireless network.

How I solved it:

I downloaded and installed wicd (you can google to know how to do this). Open a terminal (Alt+F2) and don't forget to 'chkconfig --add wicd' and get it 'on' at least at level 5.
    I am not allowing NetworkManager service to get started, by editing the file /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh and commenting the lines that launch NetwrokManager, to get the following:
    #sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    #sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher start

add the line:
    sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start

and save.

Before rebooting, try to start wicd service typing in the terminal window 'sudo service wicd start'; if get an error concening /var/lock/subsys/wicd file then edit /etc/init.d/wicd to change inside this file the reference from /var/lock/subsys/wicd (or whatever) to /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid. Pay attention to do it twice: inside 'start' and 'stop' sections.

When the service is started and running you can configure the details of your wireless connection using wicd-client.

I hope this solve the problem that appeared after the last upgrade from Acer site.

Best wishes,

Cativo

cativo, Apr 15, 2009
  5. webvince18

jjj

Is WICD suitable for use by average users without much Linux experience?

jjj, Apr 17, 2009
  6. webvince18

cativo

I just exposed the step I followed to solve my wife's computer problem. She is now happy not having to copy and paste the password every time she power on the computer.
    I mean, once installed it is a transparent issue for the user.
    If you do not know how to install wicd, just google red coloured words.

All the best,

Cativo

cativo, Apr 18, 2009
Ask a Question