Think I'm screwed, please confirm.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Godders, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Godders

Godders

Ok so long story short I installed Tiny 7 on my A150, and after a while I started to get the dreaded freezing and so looked into ways of getting back to factory settings and assuming this didn't fix it at least I'd be able to return it to Acer.

So followed instructions for here (second solution):

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Acer-D2D- ... id=1160163

.... in order to access hidden partition and run Acer recovery tool. Did so successfully.

Of course now the machine sees the recovery partition as the active partition and tries to boot from that every time and so just starts recovery manager. So I researched a solution to this which involves making a bootable USB drive with Ultimate boot CD on it.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

This apparently has partition management tools that would allow me to allocate the OS partition as the active partition prior to booting.

So what's the problem? Well, any bootable USB stick I put into my A150 causes it to freeze at the Acer splash screen. Press F2 to enter BIOS- Freeze, F12 to change boot order- Freeze. Even if I remove the stick, enter BIOS and change the boot order from there (set to boot from USB drive) when I restart with the stick in it just freezes at the splash screen (I've tried all USB ports).

So I think I'm screwed but thought I'd post here on the off chance that someone have any bright ideas?

:cry:

Godders, Jan 16, 2010
  2. Godders

Godders

SOLVED!!!

Turns out the A150 (or perhaps just my A150) is fussy about USB drives prior to booting. Tried a different drive and it worked.

Godders, Jan 17, 2010
Ask a Question